Nissan Altima Forum banner

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 s - P0014 code

26K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  rogoman 
#1 ·
2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 s (4 cylinder). The car has 105k miles. The car started to run like crap when you turn it on. Sometimes it turns on and then turns right back off. Other times it runs but stutters, bucks, and the rpm’s flutter. If the rpm’s are between 800 and 1,600 rpm’s the rpm’s will just keep bouncing around and flutter. If you put the car in drive or reverse it will buck and want to launch forward sometimes. If you start to drive it above 5mph or above 1,600 rpm’s it’s as smooth as can be. You can floor it all the way out and the car has no issues until you come to a 5mph or so or a dead stop and then it acts up again. It displays a P0014 code. I looked it up today and thought it might be the camshaft sensor. There’s two but I only bought one but swapped it around with the two that were there. It still has the same problem. I’m thinking I should replace the crankshaft sensor as well but at this point I found 2 guys online who said it could be the timing chain jumped. Which doesn’t make sense to me because it runs so good above 5mph or above 1,600 rpm’s. Any ideas?

#7 ·
I'm getting the same codes on my car I know it's the variable timing selanoid but not sure which one. Cant find a good pic of the motor showing which selanoid is which. I've seen on here there are 2 and I've also read that there are 3 of them so any help would be greatly appreciated

#11 ·
If you have the QR25DE engine and you're getting a P0014 DTC, then the engine is operating in "fail safe" mode. The fail-safe mode uses preset traveling control mode (accelerator angle variation and engine output limit) and device fix mode. The three sensors to be concerned with are listed below.

Here are the possible causes:
• Bad crankshaft position sensor (POS)
• Bad camshaft position sensor (PHASE)
• Bad exhaust valve timing control position sensor
• Exhaust valve control solenoid valve
• Accumulation of debris to the signal pickup portion of the camshaft
• Improper timing chain installation
• Foreign matter caught in the oil groove for the exhaust valve timing control

It's best to diagnose these possibilities by downloading a copy of the FSM for your vehicle from Nissan Service Repair Manuals. The EC.PDF section is the one to read; it also contains pictures of the engine showing the sensor locations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.