Nissan Altima Forum banner

Reset tire pressure light

287K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  Matt 
#1 ·
Hey guys, do you any of you know how to do this? I was able to do it with the airbag light, and was hoping this could be done too. Thank you.

#6 ·
All you have to do to reset the TPMS light is make sure all your tires are set around 35-38 psi then drive it a a couple miles and the light will turn off. If it is blinking then you have a sensor issue and you will have to take it to the dealer. The tire pressure warning light is yellow not red.

#7 ·
"When the low tire pressure warning light illuminates, you should stop and adjust the tire pressure to the recommended COLD tire pressure shown on the Tire and Loading Information label. The low tire pressure warning light does not automatically turn off when the tire pressure is adjusted. After the tire is inflated to the recommended pressure, the vehicle must be driven over 16 MPH (25 km/h) to activate the TPMS and turn off the low tire pressure warning light. Use a tire pressure gauge to adjust tire pressure to the recommended pressure."

And more:

"Your vehicle has also been equipped with a TPMS malfunction indicator to indicate when the system is not operating properly. The TPMS malfunction indicator is combined with the low tire pressure telltale. When the system detects a malfunction, the telltale will flash for approximately one minute and then remain continuously illuminated. This sequence will continue upon subsequent vehicle start-ups as long as the malfunction exists. When the malfunction indicator is illuminated, the system may not be able to detect or signal low tire pressure as intended. TPMS malfunctions may occur for a variety of reasons, including the installation of replacement or alternate tires or wheels on the vehicle that prevent the TPMS from functioning properly. Always check the TPMS malfunction telltale after replacing one or more tires or wheels on your vehicle to ensure that the replacement or alternate tires and wheels allow"

EDIT: The key part here is that you guys need to inflate them to the figures listed on the label, not on the sidewall of the tire.

#8 ·
I know this is a super old thread, but mine just went on yesterday and I can't figure out why. I checked all my tire pressures and they appear all to be at least at the recommended pressure (which on my car label is 32psi). So last night I rechecked all them and put air in the ones that were not 35psi. Drove to work today and still having the same problem. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong with the tires, because they are crappy replacement tires I got with the car when I bought it (sucks that I had to trade in my 300 with new Pirellis, but thats life). Any suggestions?

#9 ·
I have kinda the same issue, the tpms light flashes for about a min and stays on. When i got new tires i got lectured by the guys putting them on that slime kills the sensors. I went to the dealer to have the light reset and they told me the same thing as the tire place did. They run off batteries and die after a couple years or certain mileage. I didn't have the money at the time to replace them.

#14 ·
This seems like the best place to ask this...but I'm upgrading my Altima from the 16" steel wheels to the 18x7.5" alloys that are optional for the Altima and I was wondering if I could use the same tpms & valve stems on the new wheels. The guys at Tire Kingdom said I could and that they'd charge $7.00 to recalibrate each sensor, but I just wanted to get some other opinions.

#15 ·
Mine is always on. It started about 6 months back. The sensor cut into my tire or thats what the tire shop told me and they replaced it. Well problem fixed for a few month. Then it went out again. So I just said to hell with it. I can tell if my tire is low by looking at it and I always keep a spare gauge or 3 with me on the road. I always keep my tires between 32-38. I have a nail in my front left and I need to get that fixed. The air isnt going down fast tho. I say 5psi over 9 days or so.

#18 ·
As stated before, when the tire pressure light is flashing, more than likely there's an issue w/ at least one of the sensors... However, it is possible to first try to do a TPMS system reset (this is coming from personal experience) and the light to clear. You will need a TPMS Reset tool to do this though (of course, after all tire pressures are set to specs).

#19 ·
tried to help my family with tpms on 2009 altima. after oil replacement and other fluids top-up there was a problem to start engine (well happens even to pros) so they did disconnect battery.
tpms started blinking for around a minute then became still on...
I found reset connector 2pins white with one wire only - connected to nearest metal part and tpms started blinking - after 5-10minutes of drive there was a sound and light stayed on.
no more blinking before it goes to still on.

pressure in all tires is good, now... i guess i need to deflate all wheels according to what people say and try again.

i think if it will not help i need to go to garage so they find out which sensor(s) is damaged.

#21 ·
tried to help my family with tpms on 2009 altima. after oil replacement and other fluids top-up there was a problem to start engine (well happens even to pros)
What in the hell did you do while changing the oil and topping the fluids off to make the car not start afterwards? I've never heard of this happening after a regular oil change - and I might as well be considered a "pro":rolleyes:

#20 ·
ok guys,
all is great, set pressure on the tires 34, 31, 26, 28psi (released and measured using standard gauge) clockwise starting from drivers wheel - front left - maybe in UK it is wrong ;)
started learning mode by connecting tpms pin to chasis - nearest metal part.
after just a few kilometers sensors were adapted to car and light went off - this time no sound at all.
it appeared again before i arrived to fill in the air again.
all was ok after driven few km.
no more light.

i am not sure if necessary to make this kind of calibration when replacing front-rear wheels. i guess not, i do not think it may be related to safety system such as traction control while braking while one of the tire has low pressure.

good luck everyone.

#22 ·
My light has been on for the last few years. The first time happened after I got my first set of wheels. Even when properly aired and everything it remained on and I went to the dealership and they said nothing was wrong with the sensors. So now I just figured since I swapped wheels twice since then I'd just keep my wheels properly aired and keep a gauge with me to make sure. As far as the Light I put a smiley face sticker there, problem solved!

#23 ·
Or you could do like I did with the MIL light on my old Jeep - just pull the bulb! Did the dealership check anything else but the wheel sensors? There has to be something wrong with the main doohickey and not the sensors.

#26 ·
Resurrecting this old topic -

My TPMS light would flash slowly when I start engine, then to to steady ON after about five minutes.

I went to Nissan dealer where I bought the car. Dealer used a TPMS scan tool, and found all four sensors to be working and "visible" to his system. He suggested I wait until next morning, verify all tires are spec (33 psi), then drive ten miles and TPMS light will go off.

Did that - but light stays on.

Then tried the "change tires to different pressures" and ground the TPMS plug under the dash" technique.

Grounded the plug wire six times, TPMS light started flashing. Drove for ten minutes and it never stopped flashing.

Shut off engine, started up again, and TPMS light is now solid. Refilled tires to spec (33 psi) and light remains solid ON.

So the only change has been the light doesn't flash at first, then change to solid. It just stays solid ON as long as engine is on.

Any suggestions?

(also, where does the "set tires to 34, 31, 26, 28 clockwise from driver's front" comes from? Maybe there's another set of pressures for the 2010 Altima 3.5?

Thanks.
Tom M.

#29 ·
Glad I wrote it down! Here's how I reset the TPMS.

Set tire pressures to 34 31 28 26 moving clockwise from driver side front.

Remove lower dash panel at driver side.

Find TPMS reset plug - small white plug with only one lead, up behind one of the black taped harnesses.

Stick paperclip into plug.

Start engine.

Touch paperclip to chassis (steering column support) several times until TPMS light starts flashing. This starts TPMS "learn mode".

Remove paperclip and replace dash panel.

Drive several miles until TPMS light goes off.

Engine off.

Reset tire pressures to spec (33 psi).

Start engine - TPMS light comes on.

Drive several miles and TPMS light goes off.

Nothing to it!

(I also learned that most tire dealers can do this for you.)

Hope this helps.
Tom M.

#30 ·
nutmegct - Thanks for the response but this leaves me with a couple more questions I hope you can answer...
From your first post this is the stage I am at as I did the grounding tap x6 and all that -

** From your post You said:
""Drove for ten minutes and it never stopped flashing.

Shut off engine, started up again, and TPMS light is now solid. Refilled tires to spec (33 psi) and light remains solid ON.

So the only change has been the light doesn't flash at first, then change to solid. It just stays solid ON as long as engine is on.""

So did you just do the ground tap again at some point and it worked?
Cause now when I try to initiate the procedure with the ground tapping and the different tire pressures thing, the light remains solid and never flashes.. Like it won't go into the flashing / relearn mode.
Also, I went to a shop, 1 sensor was bad, they replaced it and programmed that sensor but the light remains solid Grrrrrrr!

#31 ·
Matt, I don't follow when you say "from your first post". Use the info I put in my most recent post, #29 .

Also, you may have an easier solution. Just go to the shop that replaced the sensor, and have them fix the problem. You don't say what model/year Altima you have, so yours may have a slightly different system.

Tom M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.