Nissan Altima Forum banner

Clunking noise in rear of new Altima

25K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  VStar650CL 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I just leased a new Altima SV and noticed a clunk noise in the rear if I happen to hit a pothole just right. If it is a gentle hit the noise is not audible. If it is a quick hit there is a loud clunk. Not sure which side. It seems to be from the passenger side if I'm driving. If I'm the passenger it sounds like it's coming from the driver side. It took a couple of visits to the dealer before they heard it. The mechanic who looked at my car could find nothing. He got on the phone with Nissan and was told that they are aware of the issue, that there have been numerous complaints about the clunk, but that Nissan has not figured out what the issue is. I'd like to know if anyone here has experienced this.

By the way, this is the all-wheel drive version. The issue supposedly exists in the 2 wheel drive version as well.

Thanks,
Paul

#2 ·
2019 Altima SV

We hear the same thing in our 2019 SV front wheel drive. Waiting to see if I can find it by laying in the trunk and have someone drive. If I can find it I will let you know. Did you ever look at the brochure for your car or look what is Standard on the 2019 Altimas? In it it says all trims have HD radio. Nissan Customer service says it only comes in the SL and above. We have a case # and they do not call back. I am pretty upset with Customer Service from Nissan. Our Dealer sees that Nissan screwed this one up. Please check your radio and see if on FM or AM you have HD on it. Thank you, much appreciated.

#3 ·
I did not look at a brochure on the vehicle and don't recall (no pun intended) anything indicating HD Radio on my radio. I will look again today and report back. And please let me know if you figure out the clunk. It is extremely annoying. Did you call Nissan directly about the noise or are you dealing with the dealer as I am?

Thank You,
Paul

#4 ·
I took my 2019 SL Altima to the dealer for clunking noise in the rear of the car when going over certain bumps. They said there was a bulletin for that. They tried what it said to do and still had the same problem. The mechanic decided to change out the rear shocks and so far it seems fine. The service dept at Colonial Nissan in Feasterville-Trevose, PA 19053 were fantastic. They actually cared. I hope this helps other 2019 Nissan Altima people.

#5 ·
I've been thinking about asking my dealer to change the rear shocks but don't know if they would do it without being certain it is the shocks. I did purchase a service plan which entitles me to one new set of shocks per year so I will probably ask them to use that plan if they refuse to try replacing the shocks. I assume your dealer ate the cost of the shocks. Is that correct?

#6 ·
My dealer changed the shocked after spending some time with the vehicle. The noise seemed to be coming from the rear seat area where the shocks would be mounted. Anyway, sadly the clunk is still there. I have been working with Nissan directly as well as my dealer. I will be calling both again today.

#8 ·
They did replace both shocks. Called Nissan first and was told that at this point I would have to work with the dealer to resolve the issue. If I wasn't happy with that dealer I could go to another that may have different tools etc to help locate the clunk. The dealer says they'll have to wait to hear from Nissan.

#9 ·
I was told when i purchased my 2019 altima that the factory had installed those plastic clips that push in on the rear splash guards and they were the wrong size. He said if if heard a noise from back there while driving it is probably because that push in clip was loose or fell out. He told me that he had checked mine but if there was an issue to let him know.

#17 ·
Hey, so I have a 2014 Altima and have been getting this noise in my trunk. I thought it was my trunk organizer or an item in the trunk I was storing. I emptied the trunk but still get this noise only over certain bumps. You’re saying you removed the foam holder on top of the spare and just keep your jack etc in an organizer in your trunk and the noise went away? Do you find that you lost some stability on the trunk floor now? Like it sags down towards the spare when you store a lot of stuff in the trunk?My concern is that the foam piece fills that empty gap between the spare and the trunk floor board.

#16 ·
After my first oil change at 5K miles on my 2020 Altima Platinum I had this clunking. I brought the car back and it was a broken shock. The dealership said that it would have failed anyway but putting the car up on the lift and back on the ground probably precipitated an earlier failure. Has been fine since that.

#24 ·
My 2017 SR has been doing the same for years now (dealer actually kept my car for 3 months to fix), still not fixed. Both shocks were changed, they are now saying it's something with the fender that Nissan is aware of and has many cars with the same problem. My daughter has an 18 Altima and is doing the exact same thing.

#26 ·
Also went to the Nissan dealer looking for a split tail 30 AMP fuse...which goes in the 2019 Altima. They didn't have the fuse, neither Autozone, Orieillys, or Advance. The only place I have found the fuse is in ENGLAND. IMAGINE THAT NISSAN..... the only way I knew it was blown because when my son locked his doors with the key FOB, the passenger side rear door would NOT lock... I Google the issue and it stated a blown fuse was the cause.. its a Bussman FMS 30... freaking England. This is my Very Last Nissan vehicle.....

#28 ·
the only way I knew it was blown because when my son locked his doors with the key FOB, the passenger side rear door would NOT lock... I Google the issue and it stated a blown fuse was the cause
Google is giving you a hose job, both rear actuators on a '19 are driven off the same circuit from the BCM. Since one of them works, it's impossible that any fuse is responsible. On the other hand, the '19~'20 Alties are already infamous for bad lock actuators. That's almost certainly what you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.