Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2006 QR25DE Altima that has been quite the struggle to get her running.

I received the car running (Traded a 1987 Mustang GT for it), but it had a blown headgasket.

I just got done doing the headgasket job and the car will not run unless I unplug the cam sensor. With the cam sensor plugged in it will not start. One time it got plugged in while the car was running and it started a few times after shutting it off.

So I went to my local Nissan stealership and asked for a metal cam and crank sensor. They advised me that the metal sensors have been discontinued by Nissan and have been replaced with better plastic sensors so I bought them. There was no change after installing the sensors.

Once the car starts with the sensor unplugged, the car will idle decently. It revs in neutral with a bit of a delay, and the car has no acceleration in gear. It takes quite a while to get it up to speed.

I am suspecting cam timing for some reason, even though I made damn sure that I lined up those timing marks properly. I also don't think it would idle as good as it does if the cam timing was off.

I traded the Mustang with the intention of having a comfortable, reliable, fuel efficient car. I'm hoping I can make that a reality.

I have several pics of the headgasket job if you guys would like to see.

I'm hoping someone has seen this issue before.

Thanks!

-Alex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link!

I read through the entire thread, and it sounds like he had to go through quite a bit of work to get that car running. Although I'm sure he ended up with a great car when it was done.

I'm trying to avoid removing the front cover at all costs, but if that's the case, should I just pull the motor? I'm not looking forward to the small space Nissan has given me to remove that front cover.

I'll do some searching for a write-up on the front cover removal. If anyone has a link I'd really appreciate it.

-Alex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link!

I've seen that thread, it sounds like he didn't have a good time taking that front cover off.

But again, wouldn't the car idle funny if the timing was off? Even by one tooth?

Can I just advance or retard the cam gears by one tooth and see what happens? I know it sounds ghetto but I really don't want to pull that cover off.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
See, that I don't know. I don't have hands on experience with it, so I can't tell you how it would idle. We have a member by the name of LeGaspardVQ. He's a mechanic and may be able to point you in the right direction, although I'm not sure of his experience with the VQ. You may also consider sending a message to this member. He's an engineer and as you saw, just finished rebuilding his 2.5.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You would only need to remove the cover that has the timing solenoid in it and not the whole timing cover/oil pump to redo timing.Line up crank and then you can squeeze tensioner and turn cams.Not that much work at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have a 2006 QR25DE Altima that has been quite the struggle to get her running.

I received the car running (Traded a 1987 Mustang GT for it), but it had a blown headgasket.

I just got done doing the headgasket job and the car will not run unless I unplug the cam sensor. With the cam sensor plugged in it will not start. One time it got plugged in while the car was running and it started a few times after shutting it off.

So I went to my local Nissan stealership and asked for a metal cam and crank sensor. They advised me that the metal sensors have been discontinued by Nissan and have been replaced with better plastic sensors so I bought them. There was no change after installing the sensors.

Once the car starts with the sensor unplugged, the car will idle decently. It revs in neutral with a bit of a delay, and the car has no acceleration in gear. It takes quite a while to get it up to speed.

I am suspecting cam timing for some reason, even though I made damn sure that I lined up those timing marks properly. I also don't think it would idle as good as it does if the cam timing was off.

I traded the Mustang with the intention of having a comfortable, reliable, fuel efficient car. I'm hoping I can make that a reality.

I have several pics of the headgasket job if you guys would like to see.

I'm hoping someone has seen this issue before.

Thanks!

-Alex

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Alex im having the same issue the head was done on the car by the way its an 03 altima 2.5 I timed it up and check and double checked before I put it back together..now the car won't start unless the cam sensor is unplugged did you ever figure out the problem??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
35 Posts
Triduck is right, you don't need to yank the whole cover if you just line up the crank. The most common cause of Nissans jumping time right after repair is not pumping-up the chain tensioners before starting it. It's especially problematic on VQ's, but can happen on anything with hydraulic tensioners. We usually yank the fuel pump fuse and spin the starter for about 15 seconds to build up oil pressure before letting the engine run.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts