Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone
I have a 2000 nissan that I had to pull the motor down to replace the oil pump. Car has 150000 miles on it. The oil pump went out after a piece of the timing chain guide knocked a hole in it. Cylinders looked great. Anyway, I replace the oil pump, timing chain & guide, pistons and crank bearings while I had it out. All new gaskets throughout motor. Replaced motor and it is now running but surges on accell and has low power. The rpm's will exceed 2500, so I know its not in safe mode. No codes. I replaced the MAF, first thing everyone recommended. No change. New wires and plugs, new dist cap. Good compression on all cylinders. Vac lines seemed ok as I rebuilt, had to replace the pcv valve and hose, but rest looked good. Fuel mileage has dropped from 26 avg to 20. Timing is correct, Thought it might be out, but looks good. Would the TPS cause this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know you said your timing is correct but no kidding I did everything you mentioned minus rebuild, plus some exhaust work too and same problem no acceleration power. I took it to a shop today and my timing was off. Just might want to get a second opinion on timing. Look upmy posts you will see that I truely did have the same problem.

Yeah, I thought might be timing, but checked 1/2 dozen times. I have a shop manual and a timing light. It is set to specs. It has a solid mount harmonic balancer, so it can't spin like some of the old chevys. But thanks for responding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I thought might be timing, but checked 1/2 dozen times. I have a shop manual and a timing light. It is set to specs. It has a solid mount harmonic balancer, so it can't spin like some of the old chevys. But thanks for responding.

I thought I would go ahead and adjust it to its limits both ways, It can only move about 1/2" both ways and see if either helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure he was referring to ignition timing. Sounds like base engine timing is off by one tooth. Clogged cat converter will cause the same symptom tho.
Thanks for replying. I retarded ignition and it is better but not right. I was also thinking the timing cam might be off one. I marked both when I took it apart, but who knows. It could still be the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts