Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 nissan altima and my cars Temp Gauge tells me it over heating. This happens after about 2 minutes of driving. There is no white smoke, there is enough coolant in the radiator, there are no blown fuses, and I recently changed the Temp Switch Senor because the last one was not sending a signal. I noticed that my radiator fans do not turn on when the temp gauge reads "HOT" but they do turn on when i turn my A/C or heater on. What could be the issue here?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Sounds like maybe you have a faulty gauge and not an overheating engine. Two minutes is awfully quick for an engine to heat up (that would be fast even with no coolant at all in the system). Your engine actually has two temperature senders, one for the ECM (2 wires, located near #1 injector) and another for the gauge cluster (1 Purple/White wire, located at the right-front of the engine). If you changed the 2-wire unit then it was the wrong one. It could be a bad gauge, too. Nissan temperature gauges from that era are infamous for reading high when they fail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like maybe you have a faulty gauge and not an overheating engine. Two minutes is awfully quick for an engine to heat up (that would be fast even with no coolant at all in the system). Your engine actually has two temperature senders, one for the ECM (2 wires, located near #1 injector) and another for the gauge cluster (1 Purple/White wire, located at the right-front of the engine). If you changed the 2-wire unit then it was the wrong one. It could be a bad gauge, too. Nissan temperature gauges from that era are infamous for reading high when they fail.
It ended up being a faulty coolant temperature sensor that i had initially replaced. I went to autozone and they gave me a new one and the issue is now gone. Thanks for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.