Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I bought a 05 2.5.S the back brakes needed to be replaced because it had been sitting in a ditch on the back end for a year and I'm in Idaho so these things are so rusted on I had to cut one of the calipers off with my Dremel had her running while I was bleeding the brakes and it just died out on me I replaced the plugs and coils but she still won't fire back up she has power and turns over just fine but the engine won't kick I'm thinking it might be the fuel pump at this point should I hit it with a bit of starter fluid i don't have access to a computer reader for the car so i am at a loss here

·
Registered
4 Posts
so I bought a 05 2.5.S the back brakes needed to be replaced because it had been sitting in a ditch on the back end for a year and I'm in Idaho so these things are so rusted on I had to cut one of the calipers off with my Dremel had her running while I was bleeding the brakes and it just died out on me I replaced the plugs and coils but she still won't fire back up she has power and turns over just fine but the engine won't kick I'm thinking it might be the fuel pump at this point should I hit it with a bit of starter fluid i don't have access to a computer reader for the car so i am at a loss here
I would check the cam and crank position sensors. Either of those can cause a no-start. Also, may not always throw a code as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try that tomorrow thankfully youtube has quite a bit on this car so i should be able to find and get to both

·
Registered
130 Posts
At this point you'll have to determine if there's an ignition or fuel delivery problem:

* Testing fuel delivery:
An easy way to test the fuel pump and filter is to disconnect the fuel feed hose from the fuel rail and connect it to a long length of spare hose with the other end draped over the fender going into a catch can placed on the ground. Now turn the ignition key to the run position but DO NOT TRY TO START THE ENGINE. You should see fuel going into the can at a good rate for several seconds.

If the engine is unable to start, tee-in a temporary fuel pressure gauge between the fuel feed hose and the fuel rail. Turn the ignition key to the run position but DO NOT TRY TO START THE ENGINE. The fuel pressure reading should be around 51 psi which would be a static reading.

The fuel injectors may not be firing. This can be tested with a "noid" light probe for each injector harness connector.

* Testing ignition:
Pull one or more coil packs to test; use a spare spark plug in the coil pack to test; ground the plug base with a jumper wire to the engine block; see if you're getting a spark while trying to start the engine.

* The cam timing may be incorrect:
Check for a broken chain guide, see if it's broken or it may be cracked and has skipped some teeth.

* There may be a major intake system vacuum leak:
Check the intake manifold nuts to make sure they are tight. The gasket may have failed. Also check the intake plenum bellows at the throttle valve and at the MAF for cracks or loose clamps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok updates I replaced the cam/crank sensors I've replaced spark plugs and coils still a no-start so I gave it some starter fluid and gave her a go and she fired and died i am getting a AT check light for a half sec on turning the key but I read that that was normal so I think its the fuel pump or the fuel line so I'm going to replace the pump and test the line

·
Registered
130 Posts
ok updates I replaced the cam/crank sensors I've replaced spark plugs and coils still a no-start so I gave it some starter fluid and gave her a go and she fired and died i am getting a AT check light for a half sec on turning the key but I read that that was normal so I think its the fuel pump or the fuel line so I'm going to replace the pump and test the line
A word of advise - Always disconnect the negative (-) battery connector when performing work such as you were doing. Using the Dremel tool, you may have cut into an electrical wire or worse yet if the Dremel tool has a bad ground, it could have introduced a transient voltage into the engine control system possibly damaging the ECM.

Before replacing the fuel pump, run through the tests I outlined in post #4. Fuel pumps are not cheap; you don't want to make a costly mistake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A word of advise - Always disconnect the negative (-) battery connector when performing work such as you were doing. Using the Dremel tool, you may have cut into an electrical wire or worse yet if the Dremel tool has a bad ground, it could have introduced a transient voltage into the engine control system possibly damaging the ECM.

Before replacing the fuel pump, run through the tests I outlined in post #4. Fuel pumps are not cheap; you don't want to make a costly mistake.
I checked everything I could at this point unfortunately some of the tests out lined required tools I don't have access to at the moment like a noid light and when I had to use the Dremel it was just on the caliper bracket so no wires and the battery was removed at the time I have a friend that's going to bring down an air compressor so we can blow out the lines in case there is a block for whatever reason will keep the form updated as i go

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update I've replaced the starter and fuel pump it ran and drove for about 30 mins and died out again so now I am thinking it might be the fule injectores / fule line and to get to the fuel rail to check the injectors i need to pull off the upper intake manifold so that will be getting checked out to if anyone one has a video on how to take that off it would be most helpfull

1 - 8 of 8 Posts