Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is part rant and part advice seeking.

I've been enjoying my Altima for 7 years now. I am becoming somewhat frustrated with the plastics. All of my major repairs have come from seemingly random plastic pieces.

I did have the timing chain slap caused by the inferior plastic timing chain guides and that was of course a very pricey repair. I've also had both front door handles snap off in the cold due to inferior resin.

Hopefully THIS helps some others: Today is my 30th birthday...and what do you know, my Altima started overheating this morning. I popped the hood open and discovered that the Hood Prop Arm had swung down straight into the path of the left fan. This caused the fan to cease and burn up, and it also took out the entire harness plugs and wiring on both fans. Again....this was caused by the cheap plastic retainer clip on the underside of the hood that is supposed to hold the arm in place.

I am now going to begin searching for a new fan assembly and see if I can tap into the existing harness itself rather than having to replace it.

Have others experienced this problem? TERRIBLE design to allow the hood prop to fall straight into the fans' paths. Were there any recalls for this problem?

Any advice/feedback is appreciated.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
The hood prop clip is very common although it doesn't usually take out the fan assembly. Actually everything you've mentioned is common. Instead of buying another prop rod, maybe spring for a couple good shocks. Bpuff has a good write up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hood prop clip is very common although it doesn't usually take out the fan assembly. Actually everything you've mentioned is common. Instead of buying another prop rod, maybe spring for a couple good shocks. Bpuff has a good write up.
I appreciate the reply! I did search for the user but didn't find that specific write up (currently limited to an iPhone for all internet needs). could you kindly find and post the link?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts