Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI, this is about my 2006 SE-R 6MT Canadian Model with approximately 71000kms. I have Nissan Canada's Extended warranty (Added Security Plan) until 80000kms or for another month and a half, which ever comes first.

Problem 1:
For the last 6-8 months or so, I've noticed that going into 1st gear or reverse while the car is completely stopped is very tough.

Example: I'm at a red light. When it turns green, I press down clutch, put it into 1st gear, but it feels as if I really have to try hard in order for it to get into gear. Once it is in gear, if I keep the clutch pressed down still, I can go into neutral and back into 1st gear without any trouble. If I let go of the clutch and then press it again to try to get into 1st gear or reverse, I would have to force it into gear again.

Also every time I release the clutch, I would hear a little click from the pedal.

Yesterday I dropped my car off at the Nissan dealership so I could have it look at.

They tell me that in order to fix this, they need to replace the clutch, flywheel, and release bearing which would cost about $1700 in parts and labour as none of this would be covered under warranty.

What are your thoughts on this? Is there any truth to what they are saying? In your opinion, would this be covered under warranty?

Problem 2:
My second problem is that whenever I'm stopped somewhere with the car on, for example a red light, if I release my clutch quick to normal speed, I will hear a clicking noise coming from the front of my car somewhere. This sound is really apparent when the windows is rolled down. If I release the clutch really slowly, and I mean really slowly, there will be no clicking noise. This all started about 6 months ago.

The dealership looked into this as well and says that this is caused by a loose bearing inside the transmission and that the whole transmission would have to be replaced as well. They are supposed to get back to me tomorrow to let me know if this would be covered under warranty.

What are your thoughts on this? Is there any truth to what they are saying? In your opinion, would this be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I have a bit of an update here.

Related to Problem 1:
So last week, I was driving as I normally do, I'm at a traffic light, I go to make a left turn, switch into 2nd gear, then all of a sudden I hear the loudest noise I've ever heard my car make. Sounded as if metal was scraping against metal, or even like a piece of metal was being sawed off. At this point, my car is long longer drivable because every time I put it into gear then slowly release it to try to get the car going, I hear the same loud metal scraping sound.
I brought it to a private shop that tells me my clutch is gone. When they took it apart, they show me that indeed it's broken and had it replaced $1300 later. They say that because it's only approximately a year old (about 30000kms of use), the last shop must have installed it incorrectly.
Anyways, I drive the car for a couple days and my 1st gear/reverse problem is solved. It is no longer hard to get it in gear while stopped.
A few days pass and now 1st gear/reverse is back to its same old ways of being tough to get into gear. What gives??

Related to Problem 2:
While my car was in the shop to get the clutch replaced, Nissan calls me and tells me that they will be covering the parts and labour for the replacement of my transmission.
Do you guys think that the transmission may be what is causing my 1st gear/reverse problem? If so, how can I prove this? And would I be able to provide Nissan my $1300 clutch bill for reimbursement?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
id take it to another dealer if possible and see what they say. you can even contact Nissan's courtesy line and complain. if the clutch that was "installed incorrectly" was installed by nissan it should have a 12 month warranty on it.
if they are going to replace the trans at their cost do it. see if it fixes the issue. if not tell them they messed up your car :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts