Nissan Altima Forum banner

2007 Altima Stereo Problem

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  LouOfM1 
#1 ·
Hello!

I hope someone can help me out here.
I hae a 2007 Altima and Ive been camping the last two weeks. My sleep schedule is not in sync with my girlfriends at all so when she went to bed I would sit in the car and get some work done while watching youtube videos. It was all good for 4 days and then I noticed the accent lighting on the stereo would start flickering sometimes going completely out with the LCD still on and sound working still.

One day it was extremely hot and I wanted to make sure our food stayed good so I put our coolers in the car with the A/C on I didnt leave it running for the whole day I would give it an hour or two break here and there. The windows obviously fogged up because of the temp differences and that night everything was flickering with the radio including the LCD and the sound would cut in and out. Clearly its an issue with moisture so I just leave it alone for awhile and it got cold so I turned the car and the heater on. After about 10 minutes the radio sprung to life by itself working perfectly.

I had no issues with it for two days and then my gf takes the car out to get something at a store and tells me when she gets back that the radio isnt working at all. Tinkered with it a little...maybe gave it a couple of love taps and it wasnt working. Then the car sat for about 9 hours in 90 degree weather...got in and the radio was working perfectly...turned on the AC and started driving back to the campsite..about 20 minutes into the drive it starts flickering then it starts cutting out and after about 20 more minutes its not working completely again.

I pulled the radio out to check connections to make sure its grounded properly and its all good...but i norice there are clumps of a white substance on the top of it. And then i remembered....at the drive in movie a month ago i accidentally spilled salt above the radio onto the center console and it had gotten into the vents...i blew it out and cleaned it the best I could but it was popcorn salt which is very tiny grains...there is salt in my radio...and it clumped together inside because of the moisture... even as i write this i am in the car with the heater on and the radio is working.

Its a pretty unique situation I'm in...but any suggestions on how to clean the radio out without damaging it further? Compressed air isnt going to do much since its clumped...or maybe its not the problem at all and there is something else I need to do. Oh and it is the stock radio by the way no nav.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello, I had this same exact issue happen to my 2010 Altima, twice. I took it to the dealership thinking it might be still u der warranty. It was not plus I could never replicate the problem while there....

Then, the problem disappeared. I didn't put much thought into it under it resurfaced three years later. I did a bit more research and spoke to a very knowledgeable technician. He explained that this issue can be caused by lower voltage on your car battery, something with the capacitor. Sure enough, my car battery was going bad. As soon as I installed a new battery, the problem disappeared. Then, I realized that this was the issue the first time. Once the battery was replaced, the problem disappeared until THAT battery was replaced.

So, check your car battery. See if it's start to go bad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.