Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran out of gas one day in November had to get a jump to start. Now two times so far when my gas tank is low and i go to get gas, once i turn the car back on it does not start so I’ve had to wait for a jump. Does anybody know what this could be? It doesn’t happen any other time besides when i notice my tank was nearly on empty.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Since you say it starts with a jump, I assume it won't crank? There shouldn't be anything about a near-empty fuel system that would compromise the battery or prevent cranking, so most likely that's coincidence. We could use some more detail about the car and the behavior to help you. I-key or lollipop? Dash lights? Noises from under the hood when trying to crank? If I-key, is there a brake indicator on the dash, do the brake lights work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The button and brake light comes on then i push the button and the lights come on really fast but it doesn’t crank then it turns off completely. The headlights work and the inside lights work. But when i did try to start it i hear like a small sizzling sound before it turns off. I really can’t describe it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The button and brake light comes on then i push the button and the lights come on really fast but it doesn’t crank then it turns off completely. The headlights work and the inside lights work. But when i did try to start it i hear like a small sizzling sound before it turns off. I really can’t describe it
Starting to think it may be a coincidence i just never have problems starting car only after getting gas on a low tank

·
Registered
178 Posts
See if your brake lamps come on the next time it happens (you can usually see the reflection from the high brake in the back window if you look in the rearview). If the lamps aren't lit then you're probably developing a bad spot in the brake switch contacts. It's very common, and it will make the ignition key "cycle" on and off without cranking the engine. If that's the problem, replace the brake pedal switch (very easy, no tools required except a flashlight).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ran out of gas one day in November had to get a jump to start. Now two times so far when my gas tank is low and i go to get gas, once i turn the car back on it does not start so I’ve had to wait for a jump. Does anybody know what this could be? It doesn’t happen any other time besides when i notice my tank was nearly on empty.
If you got the engine to fire up by jump starting it, then it sounds like your battery is not getting charged up or it's gone bad. A properly working charging system puts out about 13.2 to 15.0 volts, but this is a general spec, and the factory service manual should be referenced for the correct charging system voltage specifications for a particular vehicle. A battery should have a static charge of 12.2-12.6 volts. If a battery is not good, the charging system may not be able to charge properly. If a vehicle is not charging properly and the battery is good, the first thing to do is to turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position without starting the engine and make sure the charging system warning light is operating. If the bulb is burnt out, the charging system will not charge. Make sure the battery cable connectors are clean and tight; inspect the battery negative (-) cable connection at the engine block for tightness and cleanness.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you got the engine to fire up by jump starting it, then it sounds like your battery is not getting charged up or it's gone bad.
Starting with a jump doesn't necessarily implicate the battery, or vindicate the brake switch. When brake switches go bad internally, it's generally from a "soft spot" gradually created by arcing across the contacts. The couple of extra volts from jumping off a running car will often overcome the resistance and allow the car to start. Determining whether the switch is responsible is easy, just check if the brake lights come on when it misbehaves. If not, the problem is the switch. If so, the problem is the battery or charging system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts