Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Nissan Altima S, 2.5. I loved this car when I test drove it, but shortly after I bought it, it started to sputter. It reminds me of older cars that used to have an engine miss. But, it's the CVT, I think. I've complained tothe dealer numerous times and they tell me it's normal.

It usually happens around 30-40 mph and when I need the response because I'm merging or need to get around somebody. I've pretty much gone to using the auto-stick all the time. It ticks me off because if I wanted a manual transmission, I would've bought one!

The last time I had it at the dealer they manager told me that Nissan may be coming out with a software fix for this problem....has anyone else experienced this or heard about the software upgrade?

I'm to the point where I might get rid of it and get an Accord or something without a CVT!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
It felt weird for the first little while for me too but I've adapted to it now. I just step on the gas more aggressively and the CVT works well. I wouldn't go for an Accord if I were you :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's really bad. I can't believe they can sell these cars and not have a mutiny on their hands! I was thinking about getting a Murano, but have completely washed my hands of Nissan and anything that has the CVT.

It felt weird for the first little while for me too but I've adapted to it now. I just step on the gas more aggressively and the CVT works well. I wouldn't go for an Accord if I were you :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
nassin-

I've driven a few Altima CVT's and all are very smooth, at any throttle setting. I really think you should go to a dealer and test drive another Altima CVT. There is definitely something wrong with yours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 09 Altima 2.5SL sedan does not have that, at least I have never noticed. You should certainly get it checked.

However, the good part is Nissan has 10 yrs/120k miles warranty on your CVT. No other auto manufacturer has that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a used 09 2.5S and love it, I have not had any issues like you describe... if I were you I would be fighting with the dealer to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 08 2.5S sedan and it does the exact same thing!! I haven't talked to the dealer about it yet though...I just bought the car a few months ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Nissan Altima S, 2.5. I loved this car when I test drove it, but shortly after I bought it, it started to sputter. It reminds me of older cars that used to have an engine miss. But, it's the CVT, I think. I've complained tothe dealer numerous times and they tell me it's normal.

It usually happens around 30-40 mph and when I need the response because I'm merging or need to get around somebody. I've pretty much gone to using the auto-stick all the time. It ticks me off because if I wanted a manual transmission, I would've bought one!

The last time I had it at the dealer they manager told me that Nissan may be coming out with a software fix for this problem....has anyone else experienced this or heard about the software upgrade?

I'm to the point where I might get rid of it and get an Accord or something without a CVT!!
Am currently having same issue with mine, will get the sound u mentioned once but will seize after I go above 30mph and will not hear it again even if I stop the car and start driving again. To my understanding it happened at cold start even if engine is wormed up and u start driving. So I get to hear mine once everyday but car drives just fine and I do my regular oil changes ad I should. Am thinking of changing CVT fluid to see if this fixes the issue. I have a feeling cvt oil gets thick in one of the cooling hoses once cars been sited for hours and only gets out through pressure which courses the spattered noise. That's just my thought I haven't done anything so far but will leave a comment once I get an answer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts