Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister is law's 09 Altima has been burning oil for some time now. I implored her to keep checking and topping off the oil as needed. In the meantime, she brought the car to a friend of mine because it started skipping. Turns out one cylinder oil-fouls the spark plug within minutes. A compression check shows 30lbs in that cylinder.::crying::

The car has 145K miles on it, and the CVT has been trouble free thus far.

Right now, she's trying to decide whether to put in a used motor in it. She would like to get another two years out of the car when she will have retired a college loan for her daughter. My buddy was guessing about $3500 for a low mileage motor installed. So I have a couple of questions to help her decide what to do.

Regarding the CVT; are these a good bet to last past 200K or is she already in bonus time? In the unlucky event she puts in a used motor and the CVT craps out in the near future, what do these cost to replace? My buddy thought he had priced one for another job and he seems to think the cost (his cost-wholesale) was about $2200 and he figured another $1000 for labor, incidentals, and tax.

Any insight on all this greatly appreciated.

John

·
Registered
212 Posts
Madness

My buddy was guessing about $3500 for a low mileage motor installed.
- For heaven's sake. I can buy a complete 2009 car for about that, here in north Mexico. Decent used motor, about $700. Scrapyard will even drop the thing in for $200 more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Madness

My buddy was guessing about $3500 for a low mileage motor installed.
- For heaven's sake. I can buy a complete 2009 car for about that, here in north Mexico. Decent used motor, about $700. Scrapyard will even drop the thing in for $200 more.

Thanks. The lowest we could find was about $1200 for a 60K motor plus labor. The cat was also stuffed and needed replacing as well.

My sister in law bought a new car and has the carcass in her yard. Is there any value to this car with a bad motor beyond the salvage money a boneyard will give her for the metal in it, or is she better off just calling the junkyard and having the haul it away for $150?

Thanks again.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts