Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I know all about the CVT tranny. In fact I only have 74,ooo Mike's on it. When I first bought it w/ 68,ooo the first thing I did (and I do not believe going to the Nissan dealers btw) had the tranny fluid changed by a dealer and made sure I had the oldest most experience man in the shop to do it.
Now for my problem. I never noticed it before when I first start the car and am leaving my street going down the hill not even 10 miles per hour, I hear a thump sound.
At first I thought it was where my doors automatically lock!!!! Nope that's done sooner. I know the feeling of the CVT pulling back/down while going down a sharp curvy hill.
ITS NOT THAT IT SOUND LIKE A QUICK THUMP SOUND. WHAT COUKD THIS BE MEMBERS? IM NOT APPLYING MY BRAKES....STRUTS/SHOCKS? TIE ROD? IDK PLEASE HELP TY

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If you're coasting and the hill assist is turned on, the CVT will unlock the TC and start engine braking. That can turn into a thump if you have a bad or marginal motor mount, especially the torque mount. What do the RPM's do when the thump occurs?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're coasting and the hill assist is turned on, the CVT will unlock the TC and start engine braking. That can turn into a thump if you have a bad or marginal motor mount, especially the torque mount. What do the RPM's do when the thump occurs?
I had tried to reply to your comment, and it came back saying it didn't go thru. I am testing it and I have noticed the RPM's going up a whole lot. Are we talking normal between 2-3 RPM's? Also which motor mount would that be? I know you said the torque mount. I remember w/ my 2006 I had a rear mount, and 2 side mounts if I'm correct? I was wondering if You could see it under the hood when putting your foot on the brake and gently accelerating? Thank you as you are the only one who answered me.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I am testing it and I have noticed the RPM's going up a whole lot. Are we talking normal between 2-3 RPM's? Also which motor mount would that be? I know you said the torque mount. I remember w/ my 2006 I had a rear mount, and 2 side mounts if I'm correct? I was wondering if You could see it under the hood when putting your foot on the brake and gently accelerating?
Sure, depends on the hill. On one long, steep one on the way to our daughter's workplace, the hill assist on our '13 will bump the engine to around 4K trying to keep the car at 55. So 2~3K is probably normal if it's your hill assist causing the issue. The torque mount (aka dog-bone mount) is the one on the passenger side top, to the rear of the nose mount. The mounts are a bit different than your '06, the nose and tranny mounts are the same but the rear mount is different and the front mount doesn't exist. The easiest way to check mounts is with an assistant working the throttle and gearshift. Have him put the car in D and tippy-tap the gas, then shift to R and tippy-tap again, repeat as needed. That will "rock" the engine in the mounts and allow you to spot which one(s) move.
Font Design Line art Pattern Drawing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure, depends on the hill. On one long, steep one on the way to our daughter's workplace, the hill assist on our '13 will bump the engine to around 4K trying to keep the car at 55. So 2~3K is probably normal if it's your hill assist causing the issue. The torque mount (aka dog-bone mount) is the one on the passenger side top, to the rear of the nose mount. The mounts are a bit different than your '06, the nose and tranny mounts are the same but the rear mount is different and the front mount doesn't exist. The easiest way to check mounts is with an assistant working the throttle and gearshift. Have him put the car in D and tippy-tap the gas, then shift to R and tippy-tap again, repeat as needed. That will "rock" the engine in the mounts and allow you to spot which one(s) move.
View attachment 11450
Thank you so very much. I had him look at it today and luckily I.think.Im okay. But now I know that the engine mounts are different than my 06. I kinda figured they would be cause the "monster CVT"
. That is what they referred it to on my old Nissan club ( they were very opinionated and not too professional). I appreciate the diagram also. It's people like you that can help a lady out when she needs to learn. I absolutely love my 2010 Altima. It has cloth interior and a sunroof( well my other two 2006's did also) this one was hard to find so I'm taking the best care of it that I can. Rear ceramic brakes went on today w/ brand new rotars. Ty again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts