Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought this car in Jan of 2010. Wife drives it mostly, 10k miles a year max lately. Went to replace the oem rear pads today at 161k miles. Not bad! The wheel arch rust has me po'd, but look at the pics. One to show what I'm seeing and a close up. The "hole" looked like the smaller, until I touched it! My opinion, the car is near its end! Runs perfect, drives decent, dependable, but its done. I'm in Minnesota, the wife doesn't ever use a car wash, so its partly our fault, but primary structure should not have rusted this bad. That's what grinds me!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah that’s Minnesota for you. Monthly car washes in the winter might have helped. Chances are that those calipers are rusted solid and don’t move. You likely wouldn’t have gotten 100k on the rear OEM brake pads. So if you’re changing pads & rotors, it might be worthwhile to either fully disassemble and clean the calipers and pack the guide pins with silicone caliper grease or replace the entire caliper(s). As for the subframe, not much you can do now except go with it or find something decent from the junkyard and perform some major surgery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brakes work just fine. The pins have been greased with synthetic brake grease over the years. Your right rotors and calipers probably should be replaced. Seeing holes in the cross member, minimum $$$spent. After a conversation with the service manager where I purchased the car new, his guestimate, $1000 to replace the sub-frame. Plus whatever comes up.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts