Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered why one quarter panel has always been duller than the other exterior pieces.

Today I noticed that something seems to be peeling off. Photos attached.

Is this clear coat gone bad? Or a plastic paint protection film used during transportation when new, that for some reason was never removed?

And the most important question - how do I remove it?

Rest of the car's exterior is excellent - glossy "pearl white".

I tried using a hair drier to warm up that film, but can only scratch off really small pieces using my fingernail. As the entire quarter panel has the dull appearance - that's a lot of fingernail scratching!

You can see the small area I've scraped off in one photo; the other photo shows how the film seems to "taper off" halfway across the part over the right side windows.

Advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks.
Tom M.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've always wondered why one quarter panel has always been duller than the other exterior pieces.

Today I noticed that something seems to be peeling off. Photos attached.

Is this clear coat gone bad? Or a plastic paint protection film used during transportation when new, that for some reason was never removed?

And the most important question - how do I remove it?

Rest of the car's exterior is excellent - glossy "pearl white".

I tried using a hair drier to warm up that film, but can only scratch off really small pieces using my fingernail. As the entire quarter panel has the dull appearance - that's a lot of fingernail scratching!

You can see the small area I've scraped off in one photo; the other photo shows how the film seems to "taper off" halfway across the part over the right side windows.

Advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks.
Tom M.
It doesn't look like clear coat, as the part it's already peeled off looks fine! I'm interested to know as much as you are at this point. Have you tried taking it to a local paint/body shop to get their opinion?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: local Nissan has no clue what that covering is. Also noticed that it's only on the outer surface - not on the area where the door closes over. Weird.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts