Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 2.5S sedan with 36,400 miles. In the past 2 weeks I have noticed that when I start the car or when I start to accelerate from a stop that whiteish smoke comes out of the exhaust. I've read that it can be coolant mixing with the oil or oil leaking and getting burned. This seems extremely odd for such a new car. Any ideas or suggestions before I take it to the shop??

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
Head gasket issue seems highly unlikely, especially at your age of vehicle. You can pop your oil cap and see if there is any white residue on it. That is a good indication of a head gasket problem. Has it been cool the last little while where you are? Have you let your car idle and watched for the white smoke? Any odd odors that you've noticed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The smoking started just as the weather started hitting mid-80s/low-90s. The only time I notice any smell is when the smoke is actually coming out of the exhaust. The rest of the time there is no smell. I have stood behind the car for a few minutes while it idles trying to notice smoke or a smell but nothing. It only happens when I first accelerate after the car sits for a few hours. It's very hit and miss.

Head gasket issue seems highly unlikely, especially at your age of vehicle. You can pop your oil cap and see if there is any white residue on it. That is a good indication of a head gasket problem. Has it been cool the last little while where you are? Have you let your car idle and watched for the white smoke? Any odd odors that you've noticed?

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
I'll give you the mechanic's answer, (I'm not a mechanic):

Keep an eye on it. If you're able to replicate symptom repeatedly then bring the car in for a possible diagnosis. Random evident white smoke is not indicative of a head gasket, more just the presence of moisture and heat released through the tail pipe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I can't replicate it but it does happen at least once a day...just not all day. Either way if I do have to take it in it should still be covered under the 50,000 mile powertrain warranty...I hope!

I'll give you the mechanic's answer, (I'm not a mechanic):

Keep an eye on it. If you're able to replicate symptom repeatedly then bring the car in for a possible diagnosis. Random evident white smoke is not indicative of a head gasket, more just the presence of moisture and heat released through the tail pipe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts