Nissan Altima Forum banner

2011 Hybrid starting problem

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  VStar650CL 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 Nissan Altima Hybrid with 138k miles. I've owned the car since 90k miles and have had no issues in the past 5 years. All of a sudden, the vehicle won't start. It was running and driving fine, but when I try to start it, it won't turn on. It has a push button ignition, and when I push the button with the pedal depressed, all the lights in the gauges turn on, but the engine or hybrid system won't start. I had the vehicle towed back to my house and hooked my OBD monitor up to it. At first, I got nothing. So I opened the fuse boxes under the hood and checked all the ECM related fuses; none are blown. I then disconnected the battery to begin looking further into the hood. Not finding anything, I decided to hook the battery back up and run the diagnostic feature built into the car by pressing the ignition button 5 times, the door jamb button 10 times, then ignition button 3 more times. It ran the diagnostics, but this time it turned over. The vehicle started and ran which allowed me to get the car into a better position from where the tow truck dropped it off at. After the diagnostic finished running, which told me nothing, I turned the engine off and on successfully 2 more times. During the last cycle of running, the light which I assume is the master warning light in the gauge cluster came on and the car would not crank again. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery will make the car start and turn over, but it will only last about 5 minutes, after which time this master warning light comes back on and the car will not start again. I have included pictures of the OBD codes which include the O2 sensor, catalytic sensor and evap system monitor lights as well as a list of codes from IPT monitor function. Does anyone have any experience with particular issue and might be able to point me into the right direction? I, like most on this forum probably, am trying to save a costly trip to a mechanic and repair.

This is what I assume is the master warning light:
Automotive lighting Amber Orange Eyewear Automotive mirror

These are the I/M monitor status codes:
Product Telephony Font Communication Device Gadget

And these are the codes from the IPT monitor function:
Sports equipment Gadget Communication Device Bicycle accessory Font
Light Bicycle accessory Communication Device Gadget Clock

Gadget Bicycle accessory Material property Font Auto part

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That lamp is the master warning for the EV system, and most scanners won't read the VCM, LBC or ABS (or will read them but not completely). Codes on the VCM and LBC don't need to be OBD-II compliant and most of them aren't. You'll probably need a dealer scan (or one with a very high-end shop scanner) to be able to see what's going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.