Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Obviously anything done using this method is done at your own risk...

I figured I would make a little write up of the method I used to wire my pre wired fogs to driving light to have them work independently of the headlights (without buying a stalk). I searched for a while but found information scattered and conflicting and what seemed just way to complicated. So hopefully this will help some of you!

First *priority*!

remove bumper: start by removing the 6 screws and 5 clips on the bottom of the fascia

The pull back the splash guard in the wheel well and take out 1 screw on each side

Then remove the clips on top, pull each side loose and it should come right off

Next I did the wiring so I could plug in the fogs before attaching them to the fascia to make sure everything works properly.

First thing I did was unplug the battery then examine the pre wired plugs for the fogs noting the color of the wires used for left and right.

Then I examined the driving light plugs on the back of the headlight and noted the color of the wires for left and right.

Next I identified the location of each wire in the fuse panel under the hood.
I cut the wires for the fog light plugs from the plug in the panel then locate the wires for the DL's.

Then I simply tapped the left fog light wire to the left driving light wire and right fog light wire to the right driving light wire.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next I hooked the battery back up and plugged in the loose foglights and confirmed they work with the driving lights on and they did :)
Install fog lights on fascia

Reinstall fascia, dont forget to plug in fog lights!

Its bright as hell out so you can hardly tell but the driving lights are on...

Hope this helps!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm bumping this thread to the top because I'll be adding a fog light kit in about a week and the photos will help. My fleabay kit is different, though. It has a switch that pops in between the trunk release and the traction switch. It matches the factory quality and graphics. It seems I'll be able to operate the fogs at will, independent of the headlights or high beams.

The kit has a complete wiring harness with fuses, relays, etc. and doesn't use the factory wires at all. I just have to figure out where the 2 plugs attach. One plug is low power through the switch to trigger the relay(s) and the second plug is full power to the relay(s) and then to the lights. Where the plugs attach is the only tricky part. (No instructions at all came with the kit.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the helpful guide!

One quick question, how were you able to get just the fog lights to come on without the driver lights being on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I am new here; I have tried the installation method shown here, it works great. The fog lights are tap into the courtesy lights, so no need to turn the headlamps during the day so they will be use as day lights. I contact the dealer to purchase a new steering column switch with fog lights and they were asking for $900 plus tax. I purchase my fog lamps and hardware kit form Amazon $34.
Thanks all for your help good source of information.
Melarad60

1 - 9 of 9 Posts