Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Due to a posting error, the first steps are on the second page of posts:

Here are the OEM Door Speakers:

Once Removed, remove the wires to the cones, rip out the cone foam surround, and clip off the arms attaching the basket and magnet to the trim ring and jack with large wire cutters. Clip off the ring around the very top of the speaker next to the foam surround so the new speaker can be placed on top of where the old cone was. See the photos of the OEM speaker next to the new JBL. I used a high temp glue stick in my glue gun to attach the speakers, wires, and cross overs.

This is the basket and magnet I cut off:

I used what was left of the OEM speakers as mounting rings for the new speakers. I soldered wires to the integrated jacks and ran them to the crossovers on the new speakers, and glued the crossover to the bottom edge of the speaker magnet. Be careful to attach low and on what will be the bottom of the speaker. The window comes down a little over halfway down the magnet and will hit the crossover if you attach it too high or anywhere but the bottom. Also the rings will only fit one way due to the pins on them.

Once done there is no sign the were replaced except for the clear, full range sound you get.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Altima 2013 Front Dash Speaker Install:

If you are going to keep the factory Radio or Navigation system, you’ll need 2 Ohm speakers to maintain the volume and quality since the factory system is build for 2 Ohm speakers, not 4 or 8 ohm. I found Infinity and JBL offer speakers that work as direct replacements. I choose the following for my install:
JBL P662S 6.5” Shallow Mount 2 Ohm Speakers For Doors (~$88 Amazon)
JBL P963 6x9 2 Ohm Speakers for Rear Deck (~$130 Amazon)
JBL GTO18T Tweeters For Dash (~$65 Amazon) {little bright, might prefer P26T Tweeter or GTO 329 for a two way}
Infinity BassLink Powered Sub (~$199 Crutchfield) I had this all ready from my previous car .

First you will need to pull the door Jam rubber seal away from the front piller covers that are between the windshield and side window.

The Pillar covers just snap on, but are also attached with a catch that prevents the plastic from hitting you when the airbag is deployed. I was not able to remove these, but they have just enough play so you can get the front clips out of the speaker covers without totally removing them.
Now the cover should just pop off, but the light sensor (If you have auto headlights) will keep them from just pulling off.

The speakers are held on with three screws and a plastic stud in the 4th hole. Just remove the three screws and pull the speaker up, disconnect the speaker wire jack.

I used a large flat head screw driver to pry off the magnet and removed the flex wire to the cone from the speaker jack. I then ripped out the driver, surround, and voice coil as well, just leaving the empty basket.

I then used hot glue to attach the new tweeter to the basket and soldered the crossover to the tweeter and jack, be sure to connect to the jack and not after the Cap they used as a filter.

Now reinstall everything and you are set!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it sounds a lot better, I was very unhappy with the stock speakers. I really like the sound now, I replaced all six speakers, 2 way in the doors plus the tweeters in the dash, 3 way in the rear, and the sub make a huge improvement in the sound and response of the system. The speakers I selected also respond well and are at least as loud as the factory speakers with far less distortion.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know which system you had, but my SL has the "9 speaker Bose" system which is very disappointing.
I might swap the speakers out next summer when the weather is better and I have the energy for another project.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the six speaker system with Navagation on a 3.5 SV 2013 Altima. You should also have a center speaker in the dash, and speakers in the rear doors that I did not have. You should also have amps, not sure how much power they add... would love to know what your speakers look like and the rating...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was just taking some pictures from inside the trunk and through the speaker grills elsewhere, and realized the SD memory card is not in the camera so I can't download them. I'll shoot some more tomorrow and post them.
What I saw so far is the amp under the back deck says Bose, and really nothing else. The 6x9s in the back deck just say 6x9 ... no impedance or wattage rating. I also noticed the front dash mounted center speaker is tiny compared to the grill.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know pictures of speaker grills aren't that helpful, but I thought you might be able to deduce something from them. Until I took these pics I didn't know the front dash speakers were so much smaller than the grills.

Dash center speaker.

Left and right dash speakers. I think the little round thing by the speaker is an ambient light sensor.

Door speakers. All 4 look alike.

Rear deck 6x9's.

Rear deck Bose amp.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
nice pics. You can obviously see how crappy the oem speakers are. Bose speakers aren't much better. Aftermarket is always the better way to go...for one thing the speakers have better material so that allows them to handle more power and have better frequency range.

When I had my speakers removed, I noticed Nissan used Fujitsu speakers...thought Fujitsu only made some tablet laptops and hard drives...didn't know they made cheap, crappy oem speakers!! :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hate midrange speakers in the door that fire into my pant leg, and tweeters in the dash that are supposed to "bounce" sound off the windshield. I guess better speakers would still help for sure though.

Back in the 1900's, I had a '74 Dodge Dart that I cut up and installed 4 Radio Shack Minimus 7, enclosed 2 way speakers. The thing was a real thing of red neck beauty. Two of the speakers were mounted in the rear window, aimed towards the front. I had two more in the front where I cut the sheet metal dash up from the bottom to allow the speakers to set up into the bottom of the dash.... again aimed properly. Despite the low budget speakers, it sounded really very good. I even had a 4 pole, double throw toggle switch so I could make the left and right channel either the left and right pair, or the front and rear pair... ala mid 60's Buick style.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice pics. You can obviously see how crappy the oem speakers are. Bose speakers aren't much better. Aftermarket is always the better way to go...for one thing the speakers have better material so that allows them to handle more power and have better frequency range.

When I had my speakers removed, I noticed Nissan used Fujitsu speakers...thought Fujitsu only made some tablet laptops and hard drives...didn't know they made cheap, crappy oem speakers!! :D
Yeah, the Bose don't look much better, similar construction but the cone on the rear look a bit more rigid and light with fixed magnets. Still pretty crappy but better then the non-Bose speakers. I don't think the dash speakers can really qualify as tweeters, and they don't sound like them either, just cheap paper cone upper mid range.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
solid write ups! did you use component speakers anywhere? or just coaxial?
I needed efficent speakers that are 2 Ohm since I did not add amps, most componant speakers are really made for more power. The tweeters are separate, but I wanted direct replacements in the doors and rear and didn't want any modification to the car it's self. I didn't cut a single wire, everything is completely stock and for about $36 each, I could return it to stock 100%.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After doing some reading on other systems it seems like just the externally amplified systems have 2 ohm speakers such as Bose. Can anyone verify that the non Bose system have 2 or 4 ohm?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but I have the non-Bose system. It has 2 Ohm in the doors and 2 Ohm in the rear deck. The only 4 Ohm's are the tiny ones in the dash. Everything shown in the photos are from a non-Bose system.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought I'd also add that my wife's Nissan Juke has a Non-Bose, non-amplified system, also uses 2 Ohm speakers as well and they are almost the same setup. I also replaced all 4 in her car as well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm curious to know if anyone has ever changed the center speaker?
Most of us have no center speaker, do you have the Bose system with a center speaker? The rest of the stereo systems just leave the center spot empty with no center speaker.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't have the car yet. I'm considering trading my 4th generation for one. I'm curious to know what size driver could fit there. If I get one, it will be without the Bose option.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts