Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently when I stop under certain conditions I get a harsh, low pitched grinding noise. Its not like a normal brake squeak between pads or the metal pad tab in the metal pad holder. If I come to a normal stop such as coming up to a red light it does not do it. It does it more at low speeds around 10-15 MPH and then applying light brake pressure. The weird thing is the noise is coming from either under the hood or in the cab. I stood outside and had a friend drive it, stopping by where I'm standing, and you can't hear ANYTHING from outside. Sitting inside it sounds like the noise is coming from the left front of the car.

All 4 rotors are brand new with new pads, and I have disassembled the left front brake assembly to see if I could find anything. Nothing out of the ordinary. This has been happening since before I replaced pads/rotors.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will get an audio or video clip posted soon.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Possibly the brake master cylinder. It is unusual to see it on a car only 7 y.o. I had something similar; at speed (60mph) the judder and vibration felt as if a tyre had gone. I stopped. Could find nothing. Drove on. Happened a couple of times then the offside wheel bearing failed. It turned out that the master cylinder wasn't allowing the caliper to properly free up, this caused serious heating of the disc and failure of the wheel bearing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts