Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I just wanted to give a heads-up to those that drive a 2014 Altima SL..or maybe other years in the 5th Generation Model.

I just had to replace on my daughters car, at the Nissan dealership, a faulty driver seat-side airbag at a cost of $135 for the diagnosis, $1155 for the part, and $391 to install for a total of $1681.

The car would not pass inspections with the airbag warning light on, and I was told it shuts down the entire airbag system.
(I did not want to try to get it done a a local garage for fear they would not do it properly.)

I called Nissan customer service, but they would not do anything because of the high mileage of 101k (highway miles).

My point to Nissan was that it is a non-moving part that involves the safety of the occupant. They should go after the manufacturer of the part and at a minimum provide the parts free.

So....I'm also writing this to advise you that If you have had this same issue, please report it to Nissan customer service....maybe be will do a recall and refund the charges we already paid.

Finally, I got to get this in to vent....as I mentioned, this is my daughters car. The car she wanted. It was super clean and looked great inside and out. With the issues I experienced with this Nissan vehicle I would never purchase another Nissan. My two Toyotas (2015 Camry and 2013 Highlander) are quite literally problem free for years.
Nissan Issues:
1. Bad Radio touch screen 2nd replacement with quickly broke again, they wont fix
2. Bad Air Conditioning compressor replaced for $800
3. Poor design with location of the Cabin air filter that when filed with minimal amount of debris, will fall into the poorly placed ac condensation drain tube which then fills the cabin with water.
4. Poor design (presumably) with the location of the carburetor air flow sensor requiring relatively frequent cleaning or changing of the part.

That's it.
Take care.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response and your willing ness to call it into the Nissan Customer Service.
Hopefully the more reports they receive they may consider reimbursing us. (I'm not holding my breath on that one.)

I'm not sure if resetting the light allows the airbag system to be reactivated.
Again aside from the safety aspect of it, I was told that it would not pass the annual Pennsylvania State safety inspection....I had to do it no matter what.
Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts