Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Whoever said that is wrong. The buckle switches don't cause codes, simply because the Bag Brain has no way to double-check them. The worst they'll do is make the seatbelt lamp stay on. Debris under the passenger seat or in the seat track can cause OCS occupant sensor codes (or even snap one of the OCS sensors if it wedges underneath), but it won't cause side airbag codes, ever.

Side airbag codes on gen5 Alties are actually common, but they're almost always caused by fatigued wires to the airbags, which are located in the outboard side of each seatback. The wires make two awkward turns underneath the upholstery on the way to the bag, and can also be subject to pinching by the seatback board because of the way they're routed. Because it's a fatigue problem, the codes will almost always come and go, they'll stay erased for awhile and then return. Eventually the copper in the wire will part and it won't erase anymore.

Unfortunately the wires are part of the seatback assembly, so the only official fix (keeping the lawyers happy) is to replace the entire seatback. That's all I can officially recommend, but draw your own conclusions about it.
Would replacing the entire driver side airbag module include the lead that goes to the body wiring harness? Wouldn’t this solve the seat back issue comment?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, but on a gen5 Altie the bag isn't sold separately. The only way to get a new bag is to buy the whole seatback. However, they can be unbolted and swapped if you know how to open up the seatback, so raiding the JY for a bag with better wiring is definitely an option.
I’m questioning the repair estimate that I received today then the code was B0020-13. The airbag was already replaced per some ESM. Here are the notes from the initial visit.

GENERAL INSPECTION/ CHECK : GENERAL REPAIR CODE B0020-13 PASSENGER AIR BAG OPEN CODE STORED IN THE PAST. CHECKED ELELTRICAL CONNECTIONS UNDER SEATS AND UNDER DASH ON ALL AIR BAGS LEADING TO DIAG SENSOR. ESM STATES TO REPLACE AIR BAG DIAG SENSOR FIRST BEFORE REPLACING LH PASSENGER SIDE AIR BAG MODULE. CHECKED WIRING FROM DIAG SENSOR. THIS CONCERN IS INTERMITTENT AS OF RIGHT NOW. IF AIR BAG LIGHT COMES BACK ON WE WILL HAVE TO START WITH AIR BAG DIAG UNIT AND PROCEED FROM THERE. THIS IS NOT RELATED TO THE AIR BAG RECALL NOTING. CODE WAS TRIPPED AT 56091 MILES ACCORDING TO CONSULT WHICH WAS BEFORE LAST VISIT BUT WAS NOT PRESENT LAST VISIT.

they make It seem like they are replacing an airbag next for another 1100$.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Aargh, sometimes I really hate the way Nissan FSM's handle airbags. It's basically a sh!t list designed by lawyers, inspect A and B, replace B, replace C, replace D, replace the whole car. I.e., it's legal BS to prevent idiots from immolating themselves, not actual diagnostic info.

Trust me on this, I've seen hundreds of these on gen5's and the problem is never the Bag Brain. Every once in a great while the issue turns out to be a bad bag or a crack in the flex wiring that connects the seat to the floor, but 98% of the time it's bad wires on the bag as described above.
I appreciate the info on this. What bag do you think they are replacing in the explanation above if the airbag can’t be replaced without swapping the seat back? We are talking the same side air bag, right? I’ll get a part number tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts