Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of nights ago my dash message center displayed the "Headlight System Error" message. Did a visual check and both headlights are working. So far I have not found any info/solution on-line. Has anyone had/resolved this issue? Also, does anyone have the wiring schematic for the headlights? Thanks!

·
Registered
465 Posts
One of your LED low beams is failing, the smartwork inside the lamp is seeing a problem. There's a diagnostic line running from each headlight to the IPDM, it's tan on the left headlamp and pink on the right. When the low beams are on, both wires should go near ground, when they're off they should go near battery voltage. Your voltmeter can tell you which lamp has the problem. Note that the LED beams are non-replaceable and the assemblies are hideously expensive. You might want to consider converting to halogen assemblies and replacing the bulbs with quality H11 LED's from a reputable outfit like VLED, EOS, or Diode Dynamics. You'll need to rig a "dummy" LED fail signal to the IPDM in order to do that (to prevent the error messages you're getting right now), but that isn't difficult, just a single relay to invert the headlight main signal and send it to both diagnostic lines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of your LED low beams is failing, the smartwork inside the lamp is seeing a problem. There's a diagnostic line running from each headlight to the IPDM, it's tan on the left headlamp and pink on the right. When the low beams are on, both wires should go near ground, when they're off they should go near battery voltage. Your voltmeter can tell you which lamp has the problem. Note that the LED beams are non-replaceable and the assemblies are hideously expensive. You might want to consider converting to halogen assemblies and replacing the bulbs with quality H11 LED's from a reputable outfit like VLED, EOS, or Diode Dynamics. You'll need to rig a "dummy" LED fail signal to the IPDM in order to do that (to prevent the error messages you're getting right now), but that isn't difficult, just a single relay to invert the headlight main signal and send it to both diagnostic lines.
Thank you for the reply VStar650CL. My car has LED DRLs and as far as I know the original Halogen bulbs are still in the low beams. They all are working fine even when the ERROR message pops on. The only thing I noticed yesterday was that the driver side headlamp assembly has moisture on the inside of the lens. Could this maybe be throwing that error?
I will make sure and find out which type of low beam bulbs I am running.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thank you for the reply VStar650CL. My car has LED DRLs and as far as I know the original Halogen bulbs are still in the low beams. They all are working fine even when the ERROR message pops on. The only thing I noticed yesterday was that the driver side headlamp assembly has moisture on the inside of the lens. Could this maybe be throwing that error?
I will make sure and find out which type of low beam bulbs I am running.
You're most welcome. I believe the LED DRL's can also cause the Headlight System error message, and moisture can definitely cause issues with LED driver circuits. Nissan headlight assemblies are all vented, so if there are no cracks letting the moisture in, you can "bake" it clear by running the high beams for several hours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're most welcome. I believe the LED DRL's can also cause the Headlight System error message, and moisture can definitely cause issues with LED driver circuits. Nissan headlight assemblies are all vented, so if there are no cracks letting the moisture in, you can "bake" it clear by running the high beams for several hours.
Update, got to working on trying to resolve the headlight error code in our car and tried to replace the low beam bulb that was failing. Tried to do it through the inner fender plastic but could not see how to take the low beam bulb socket out. Proceeded to pull the bumper and then took the headlight assembly completely off to find out that we have the LED headlight that has no replaceable bulb. GREAT! Plus there was water pouring out of the unit when I removed the rubber grommet that covers where the wires go to the LED. Dealer cost for the replacement unit is $1066 + tax. Found a web store that has it for $442. I have been looking for a reason to trade-in my car and I think I found a good one. Who ever designed this part to be like this probably thought it was funny. Not!!
Has anyone dealt with this issue and has a cheaper way to fix this?

·
Registered
465 Posts
It's not hard to replace the LED's on an Altie with standard halogen assemblies. The only trick is installing a relay to fool the cluster and get rid of the headlight error message. Unlike the Rogue and some other models, gen5 Alties use the same connectors for both LED and halogen. The LED's simply have one added wire each for "failure detection", so halogens are plug-and-play except for faking out those wires. If you want to do it, I'll get you wire colors and pinouts and a diagram for the relay.

You don't need to lose your LED light, either. Diode Dynamics (who advertises here) makes some excellent LED bulbs that fit in an H9/H11 hole, as do VLED, GTR Lighting, Precision LED, and a number of other reputable aftermarket manufacturers. My only advice on that count is, don't go "China Cheap" unless you want to replace bulbs every 6 months. Good heat-sinking isn't easy or cheap. Well-engineered LED's will cost $150~200 a set, but they'll be trouble-free and last a long time.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Well, here, since I'm at it anyway:

The feedback wires on a '16 will be tan on the lefthand connector and pink on the righthand. The low beam wires will be pink on the lefthand and red on the right. Just cut the feedback wires loose from the connectors and hook them to a relay as shown above, then t-tap one of the low beam wires to feed the relay coil. Pretty simple.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do understand the wiring you are explaining and can probably execute following your method. The one thing that is not clear to me yet is how would I install the replacement bulb. There seems to not have a socket for the H9/H11 bulbs. The only thing that is on the back of the housing behind where the low beam is, is a hole with a grommet plug where the wires to the low beam go through. When you pull that plug, the wires go inside the housing and I have not seen what they hook up to. I am assuming they hook up to the LED unit , but how do I get to it and how would I mount an H9/H11 bulb if there is no H9/H11 mounting spot like for the high beam bulb or on any other headlight housing? Am I missing something?
Thanks for that relay wiring picture!

·
Registered
465 Posts
No, you're misunderstanding. Once the LED's malfunction they're junk, so you need to ditch both housings. But that isn't expensive, you can get a good set of aftermarket halogen housings on eBay for $200~300. Even genuine TYC's are $875 on RockAuto, still a fraction of the LED price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I'm on the same page! I was not understanding that you were talking about replacing the housing with a halogen one. That makes sense to me now! Replace the original LED housings with ones that take "regular" bulbs and do the relay trick to fool the computer. Got it! Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You're most welcome! Since this is a pretty common issue with pricey and non-serviceable Nissan LED's, you might want to take some pics during the conversion to document for others how it's done. I think that would be invaluable to the community, because this problem will only become more common as time goes on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts