Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car just threw engine code p219c. Took it to the dealership and they can’t figure out what’s wrong. Has anybody had this engine code before? If so how did you fix it

·
Registered
514 Posts
That DTC means your #1 cylinder has a mixture issue. It gets thrown when a particular cylinder produces more or less power than it should with a given A/F mixture when compared to the other cylinders. It can be a vacuum or exhaust leak right at #1, a clogged or leaky injector on #1, etc -- anything that causes #1 to be up or down on power without misfiring. Probably the most common cause is carbon buildup, almost always on a car that's being driven like grandma.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That DTC means your #1 cylinder has a mixture issue. It gets thrown when a particular cylinder produces more or less power than it should with a given A/F mixture when compared to the other cylinders. It can be a vacuum or exhaust leak right at #1, a clogged or leaky injector on #1, etc -- anything that causes #1 to be up or down on power without misfiring. Probably the most common cause is carbon buildup, almost always on a car that's being driven like grandma.
The dealership has replaced the intake manifold gasket and some exhaust gaskets. The spark plugs have been replaced also and the problem is still there.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Try a de-carboning, and if that doesn't help suspect the #1 injector. The problem will be found in or around the #1 cylinder, the code is specific to it. P219D refers to #2, etc..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try a de-carboning, and if that doesn't help suspect the #1 injector. The problem will be found in or around the #1 cylinder, the code is specific to it. P219D refers to #2, etc..
It stalled at a red light today. So I took it back to the dealership

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am experiencing same code on my 2017 Nissan Frontier yet dealership can’t find the problem. Now they say it needs a new engine because mine is in balanced. I don’t believe in him ballast engine would cause this code. The weirdest part is my truck was running fine I just had a check engine light with this code

·
Registered
514 Posts
I am experiencing same code on my 2017 Nissan Frontier yet dealership can’t find the problem. Now they say it needs a new engine because mine is in balanced. I don’t believe in him ballast engine would cause this code. The weirdest part is my truck was running fine I just had a check engine light with this code
These are all the possible causes listed in the ESM:

• Fuel injector
• Exhaust gas leaks
• Incorrect fuel pressure
• Mass air flow sensor
• Intake air leaks
• Lack of fuel
• Incorrect PCV hose connection
• Improper spark plug
• Insufficient compression
• The fuel injector circuit is open
or shorted
• Ignition coil
• The ignition signal circuit is
open or shorted

Like I said earlier, P219C is specific to cylinder #1, P219D to #2, etc. Try a de-carboning and a MAF cleaning first, they're both easy and may fix it. If not, check wet and dry compression on the specific cylinder compared to the others. If there's a major difference then the dealer is probably right about a new engine. If the cylinder checks okay, then they're blowing smoke and you should start checking the rest of the stuff on the list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They replaced spark plugs, o-rings, and fuel injector #1 At another dealership. The current dealership says they think I have an engine imbalance and need a new engine. The truck has been in the shop for over 2 months due to staff shortages now they say it will be 45 days to get an engine from Japan.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The current dealership says they think I have an engine imbalance and need a new engine.
They must mean a "power imbalance", which is basically what causes a P219C in the first place. To explain the DTC, the ECM is feeding all 4 cylinders the exact same mix and expects to see the exact same performance from both the A/F sensor (front O2) and the relative acceleration of the crankshaft (power measurement). When the ECM detects a cylinder which isn't "missing" but is both down on power and has poor combustion, it throws a P219C-D-E-F for that cylinder. So just having a power imbalance doesn't condemn the engine. It has to be a power imbalance with bad compression readings to indicate the engine is the problem. If the compression is good, then they're blowing smoke at you. I'd ask to see the results of their compression tests.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They must mean a "power imbalance", which is basically what causes a P219C in the first place. To explain the DTC, the ECM is feeding all 4 cylinders the exact same mix and expects to see the exact same performance from both the A/F sensor (front O2) and the relative acceleration of the crankshaft (power measurement). When the ECM detects a cylinder which isn't "missing" but is both down on power and has poor combustion, it throws a P219C-D-E-F for that cylinder. So just having a power imbalance doesn't condemn the engine. It has to be a power imbalance with bad compression readings to indicate the engine is the problem. If the compression is good, then they're blowing smoke at you. I'd ask to see the results of their compression tests.
#1 fuel injector has very low compression

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yep, if it's got bad rings or valves (has to be one or the other) then it's toast. The 2.5's are very hard to get and very hard to get parts for. I'm sure that's why it's taking so long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never got my issue fixed. I took it to 3 different dealership. None could figure out the problem. One kept it for almost 2 months but could never figure it out. It has been running great the last 6 months. I have put over 7k miles on it and no issues beside p219c. Im currently getting 35 mpg highway and 28 mpg city.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’m sorry I meant cylinder 1 had no compression. They replaced the cylinder and that didn’t help.
Here's a bit of "engine 101" - Individual cylinders can't be replaced in most domestic engines. The entire engine block is cast at the manufacturing foundry with individual cylinders as part of the casting. The dealership probably replaced the head gasket???

·
Registered
514 Posts
Here's a bit of "engine 101" - Individual cylinders can't be replaced in most domestic engines. The entire engine block is cast at the manufacturing foundry with individual cylinders as part of the casting. The dealership probably replaced the head gasket???
Yah, seems like the dealership must have thrown some confusing terminology at him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts