Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My 2.5 SR FWD, i get only around 27 MPG on Avg, even though most of my driving is in highway.

Any users can post what you are getting ?

I expected on avg to get at least like 30-32, not sure if i am facing this.

·
Administrator
274 Posts
Some helpful tips:
  • - Replace spark plugs if they're over 100,000 MI.
  • - Replace air filter.
  • - Reduce idle time. Excessive idling hurts MPG.
  • - Use proper motor oil. A fully synthetic oil is recommended like a 5W-30.
  • - Maintain proper tire pressure.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hi, My 2.5 SR FWD, i get only around 27 MPG on Avg, even though most of my driving is in highway.

Any users can post what you are getting ?

I expected on avg to get at least like 30-32, not sure if i am facing this.
Kind of depends what "most" means. Our '13 gets 35~36 on long summer trips, 33~34 in winter. It drives 13 miles each way to my wife's work during the week, only 3/4 mile of which (5.7%) is off the highway. The fact that the first miles are always on a cold engine drops the overall to about 26~27 summer, 25~26 winter. That's a lot more than 5.7%. High consumption when cold is pretty much unavoidable with a fuel-injected engine, because there's no way to lean the mixture when the engine is cold without stalling and stumbling. So analyze your driving conditions accordingly, temperature and conditions make a huge difference.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My wifes 2.5 got 36-37 mpg year round. super light foot. Its start and stops that kill the average. If you drive al to of city, its going to be very low.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Altima's combined mileage rarely falls below 32 mpg. My car gets 40mpg+ on long trips. I stay the speed limits or 5 over. This was one of my better long trips, Richmond, Va to Nashville on one tank of gas.
p.s. My '19 Altima owners manual says 0-20W Synthetic for the 2.5L engine.

Car Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Gauge

·
Administrator
274 Posts
My Altima's combined mileage rarely falls below 32 mpg. My car gets 40mpg+ on long trips. I stay the speed limits or 5 over. This was one of my better long trips, Richmond, Va to Nashville on one tank of gas.
p.s. My '19 Altima owners manual says 0-20W Synthetic for the 2.5L engine.

View attachment 11263
WOW, 40+ mpg on long trips! I've got a 2012 Altima 2.5L CVT and the best I've ever gotten was 32 mpg. Now I use a 5W-30 fully synthetic motor oil.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2010 Altima with 130000+miles. I've had the car for over 100,000 miles. I've always used synthetic oil, never drive agressively, maintain all my fluids, etc. At about 100000 miles, iridium plugs were replaced. Air filter is clean/newer. I usually average only about 24 mpg combined (which is down by a mile or two per gallon from when I first got the car). Last summer, I took a hwy trip for about 9 hours each way. I was averaging about 31 mpg hwy only (approx 65 mph through multiple states). I feel like when the car was newer, I was getting about 2-3mpg better. Anything that causes drag will reduce mpg. So, I believe that the model of tires you use (as well as the tire pressure), if your brake calipers are partially locking and holding your rotors (sliders seized), if your wheel bearings are getting old, even the roads in certain states matter. I have a feeling that my rear wheel bearings are starting to go bad as I hear some rear whining. Plan on getting those replaced soon. We will see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
brand new 2022 off the lot
Drove 300 mile home and monitor said 24 MPG
Did that include the test drive numbers (120)?
How do I check mileage for the trip without writing numbers down?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
brand new 2022 off the lot
Drove 300 mile home and monitor said 24 MPG
Did that include the test drive numbers (120)?
How do I check mileage for the trip without writing numbers down?
It would probably include any miles that were put on the car before you took possession, techs never reset that stuff during PDI unless a repair is needed that requires it. I believe the gen6's are similar to the gen5's, you can reset the fuel economy and distance numbers by holding down the "OK" button while you're on the trip computer screen (gen5's use the "page" button). If you never reset it you'll basically always have the average mpg for the entire driving history of the car, it will just keep accumulating.

Does my Pro Pilot assist help or hurt MPG?
Depends a lot on how you drive. PP doesn't tend to follow lines as smoothly as a human driver and will tend to accelerate faster than most humans when it's been "pacing" another vehicle and then the lane clears. It will also hold speed no matter how steep a hill is, where a human might dial it back. So on a fairly straight interstate with limited traffic it will probably save fuel, in other conditions I think a conservative human would probably better it. I don't think it will make a big difference either way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It would probably include any miles that were put on the car before you took possession, techs never reset that stuff during PDI unless a repair is needed that requires it. I believe the gen6's are similar to the gen5's, you can reset the fuel economy and distance numbers by holding down the "OK" button while you're on the trip computer screen (gen5's use the "page" button). If you never reset it you'll basically always have the average mpg for the entire driving history of the car, it will just keep accumulating.

Depends a lot on how you drive. PP doesn't tend to follow lines as smoothly as a human driver and will tend to accelerate faster than most humans when it's been "pacing" another vehicle and then the lane clears. It will also hold speed no matter how steep a hill is, where a human might dial it back. So on a fairly straight interstate with limited traffic it will probably save fuel, in other conditions I think a conservative human would probably better it. I don't think it will make a big difference either way.
Thanks! I probably need to drive it more conservatively than I did my STI

1 - 13 of 13 Posts