Nissan Altima Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update: picked up car today, and guess what? Same issue. nothing from passenger seat, and only the back of drivers seat gets hot. Took back, and SA said he even checked himself and it worked before I picked it up. I said well as you can see its not working. He said they will have tech look at again Monday. He also stated that Nissan said if after changing Module and it still fails, then they have to change the seat box under both seats. They will let me know Monday. So more to follow.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update: picked up car today, and guess what? Same issue. nothing from passenger seat, and only the back of drivers seat gets hot. Took back, and SA said he even checked himself and it worked before I picked it up. I said well as you can see its not working. He said they will have tech look at again Monday. He also stated that Nissan said if after changing Module and it still fails, then they have to change the seat box under both seats. They will let me know Monday. So more to follow.....
Okay, thank you for the update, hope it gets fixed this time

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update: well dealer called me Monday and said that they used a temp gauge and the readings were all within normal range. Even though i don;t feel any heat coming from seats. Dealer said because of the temp gauge readings, Nissan says that within normal range and nothing more to do. I called Nissan and put in a complaint, and they advised I can take to another dealer. So that is what i did, and yesterday they told me that the driver seat cushion needs replacing and that the passenger seat needs a new entire bracket. They have to order parts so my car will be there for at least a week. What nonsense from the first dealer. I believe they didn’t know how to diagnose it. Guess not all Dealer Service Departments are created equally.

i picked up a loaner yesterday while they work on my car.....

·
Registered
654 Posts
Guess not all Dealer Service Departments are created equally.
They definitely are not, and it sounds like the techs at the new dealership know how to read a wiring diagram and use a voltmeter. That's a keeper. I won't turn this into a rant about the industry, but suffice it to say that there are some technicians who just don't "have it" when it comes to electricity. In some dealerships those guys are allowed to play with electrons anyway, and the result is what you experienced. I'm very glad you found a more-competent shop.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Is it possible to turn heating into cooling?
Unfortunately, no. Climate-controlled seats (as opposed to heated ones) use a completely different mechanism. Heated seats basically use a glorified electrical resistor that's woven into the cushions. By contrast, climate seats use a semiconductor device called a Peltier Plate to produce both heat and cold. When current runs through it, a Peltier produces heat on one side of the plate and cold on the other. Reversing the electrical current also reverses which side of the plate gets hot and which gets cold. Climate seats use this by running air across the plate using a fan under the seat, then ducting the air into channels in the seat cushions, with heat or cold determined by which way the plate current is flowing. This takes special seat cushions and, as you can imagine, quite a bit of plumbing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 2019 Altima and the driver's side seat heater works fine. The passenger side doesn't heat at all although the button will light up to indicate the power is on. I only see one fuse for both seats. Is there a relay for each one possibly? I'm not great at this stuff but hoping I can at least diagnose even if I can't correct it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
No, they're driven from a common controller using a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal to vary the heat. If you look at the diagram I posted earlier in this thread, there should be 12V power all the time at the connectors under the seats. The controller switches the ground side of the circuit on and off at very fast intervals (usually 1 millisecond or less) to provide what looks like a varying voltage on the low side of the circuit. If you put a test lamp between the high side and low side wires at the seat connector (B128 pin1 and pin-8 respectively) , the light should come on with the seat heater and dim or brighten with the heat setting. If it does, then the problem is in or under the seat and not in the control circuit or main wiring. You can trace it by following the under-seat connections back on the low side with the lamp still connected to pin-1 on the high side. When you reach a point where the light doesn't light, you're just north of where the problem is.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts