Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my new Altima since July. Great car; road/highway driving avg 38-40 mpg.

About once a week, I'm driving along and I'll hear three loud beeps, and see a quick flash in the warning area on the display screen. Too fast to see what it is.

Would anyone know what the Altima is warning me about?

Thanks.
Tom M.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chances are it's the LDW (Lane Departure) system. The ProPilot/ICC version will also give you a wheel-shake, and both types will flash the LDW icon. The system is purely optical and will sometimes "false" in very bright forward conditions (like driving into a sunrise) or if the road lines are dim/confused.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks VStar. LDW gives a different sound, vibrates the steering wheel, and flashes the LDW symbol on the instrument panel. This "three beeps" and a flash isn't like that at all - no wheel shake, three long beeps instead of LDW short beeps, and a different flashing symbol. Weird that the symbol isn't shown in the owner's manual.

The fog thickens!
Tom M.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Long beeps might be one of your door switches falsing, does it happen with turns/bumps? Didn't find any bulletins about it, but there is an available repro for the ADAS2 module because of other LDW/BSW issues (ADAS2 is the beeper module for the Driver Assistance system). If you can catch a vid or frame-grab I might be able to help identify it, I'm a Nissan master tech.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick follow up. Happens only once every week or so, when driving on interstate (smooth, 70 mph).

Can you give me a link about the LDW/BSW issue?

Tom M.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's an official bulletin so I can't hand it out, but the qualifying symptoms are:
1) BSW doesn't illuminate when a vehicle is in the blind spot by about 1/2 car length;
2) RCTS (Rear Cross Traffic) doesn't illuminate in R with a car approaching the rear perpendicular;
3) Unavailable Side Radar appears on the info display.
There may be DTC's C1E11-97 or C1E91-97 accompanying the symptoms. If your car has any qualifying behaviors, your dealer can apply the bulletin as a warranty repair.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'm thinking this isn't the issue, as the symptoms you list aren't the symptoms I've having.

I'll keep plugging along, and hope I can see that dash light better to identify it. It's just to the left of the LDW light.
Tom M.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You're most welcome. Since it's some sort of false warning and ADAS2 is basically in charge of warnings, it may be a bug that Nissan simply hasn't identified yet to add to the bulletin. I'd see the dealer and get it repro'd anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good idea. The next scheduled maintenance comes up in a few weeks, so I'll use that opportunity to have them look at it. I remember my previous Altima had the automatic front radar collision detect system, which was buggy and kept turning itself off (with the required dash panel warning light saying it's not working". Took over a year for Nissan to send the fix to local dealers.

Thanks again, and be well.
Tom M.'

·
Registered
35 Posts
That wasn't Nissan dragging feet, it was the radar manufacturer, Bosch. Turned out the earliest production units had "silicon gas poisoning" from an inappropriate heat-sinking grease, but it took Bosch quite awhile to identify the issue. It usually took 10K~30K miles to show up, so it drove a lot of us service people nuts too, not just customers. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speaking of trying to find a problem, the development of the SR-71 back in the 1960s was slowed by, among other things, problems in working with titanium - but the titanium problem only occurred during manufacture in the summer. Kelly Johnson and team were really frustrated trying to find the cause. Turned out the city of Burbank (Skunk Works) changed the chlorine ratio in drinking water in the summer. Take a look:

Paragraph beginning "Working with titanium ..."

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kelly was great, wasn't he? God knows we need him back, too. Boeing managed to kill 300 people just with an engineering 101 mistake in that MCAS, making a critical system dependent on a single sensor when the other instruments in the plane (airspeed, radar altimeter and ground speed) already possessed data that could have told the MCAS the sensor was bummed and the plane wasn't stalling. Engineering ain't what it used to be, my friend. Sad but true.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a contrasting sentiment in Gann's "Fate is the Hunter". He and a buddy are in Air Transport Command, flying a DC-2 through fog and ice. Gann says he astounded they're still in the air, with the ice wing load. Right seat guy says "the manual says it should hold altitude in these conditions, no problem."

Gann says something like "I guess those guys with slide rules really knew what they were doing. Must have thought their families might be flying with us."

Gann was an excellent author, and had one heck of an interesting flying career.

OK - back to reality. Good to chat with you.
Tom M.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts