Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. I bought a 2020 used and the dash gauge cluster plastic is scratched all up. (why is that by the way? i feel like every used car i look at, this is all scratched like crazy). I have the new piece and want to replace it. can i just remove the "leather" plastic piece directly behind the steering wheel to get to the bolts? do i need to remove anything else? and how would I go about removing that piece? I do not want to yank it too hard and break something. i tried looking for a video on youtube and the only one i found was about a speaker. i could see a lot of the assembly but not how to get the piece out of there. anyone? thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The lid above the cluster just pries out, but it needs to move towards you and upward, not straight up. Use a plastic prybar and not a screwdriver, the pawls can be stubborn and you don't want to damage anything. Pull the tilt steering wheel all the way out and down, it will help you access everything. Once the lid is off, I believe you can pop out the cluster trim without removing any side panels, but I haven't yet done enough of them to remember for sure. You might need to pop the lefthand panel and/or lower left dash. Once the cluster trim is out, you'll see the 4 screws holding the cluster. Have a magnet handy or use a magnetic screwdriver for the lower screws, losing one into the bowels of the dash won't be any fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help. i still need to take the whole bottom trim piece off under the steering wheel too. looks like that piece runs the length of the whole dash. might be a better project for the spring haha. not easy to do when its freezing cold out. im just so worried about breaking something.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You're most welcome. The toughest part on the new Alties is actually that a lot of the plastic is too snug, and that's doubly true in cold weather. You'll be wise to wait till it's warmer or find a heated garage. Some of the retainer pawls can be incredibly stubborn to release, so get yourself a good set of plastic prybars and do it on a day when your patience is in good supply. ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
PS - If the cluster glass has scratches but isn't gouged, you might want to try a product called Novus Plastic Polish #2. By applying many patient coats, I've removed some very deep scratches in our helmet face shields. It works equally well on any kind of transparent plastic (even reading and sunglasses). Just keep applying it till the scratches disappear, it's pretty magical stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
those days are few and far between haha. low patience and high OCD type pickiness are not a good combo. there are a couple of pieces that i need to replace. i have the gauge cluster plastic piece and i still need to buy the trim around the gear shifter. the shiny finish loves scratches. the previous owner did not share my attention to detail or keep things looking new.

i was actually going to try that when i get the old one out. i dont trust doing that when its in place. then i have a backup. think that would work on the trim around the gear shifter?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts