Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a while back, after my cousin's 3rd Gen 3.5 Altima (black panther) was retired by virtue of the Seattle waters, we started talking about me possibly doing something to "Rosemary", my 4th gen Maxima. Between my cousin who lives all the way in Seattle, my buddy Gabe who is a tech @ Audi, some other friends, and myself, we decided I would attack the 'hybrid' (vq35 using vq30 timing equipment/wiring/ecm) 3.5 swap in mine. So I slowly started gathering/purchasing parts. Here are a few pics of the car/progress. Hope you enjoy.

So it begins.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So close, yet so far away... Finally got her to the dyno to get tuned and something went w/ the flywheel. So she could NOT get tuned... So over the winter I'm planning on pulling the trans back out, replacing flywheel and finally get this girl tuned and see what she does, then possibly put on the big air intake.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Parts List Breakdown:

*VQ35DE Short Block (Capitol City Nissan in Chamblee,GA)
*Cylinder Heads ( used/rebuilt from an 03 Maxima)
*VQ35DE-Rev-Up OEM Camshafts (used, purchased on my350z forum)
*VQ35HR cylinder head bolts, oem (Cap. city Nissan)
*VQ35DE-Rev-Up Oil pump, oem (Cap. city Nissan)
*ARP Rod bolts for stock rods (new, online purchase)

And all the usual bolt-ons. Like I said before, I really hope to rectify my little gremlins this winter and take the car out in the spring.. Thanks for checking it out.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Nice Motor BuildSheet mate ! Nice engine mods in there . Look forward to it !

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
Wow. That's some good stuff. Sorry to hear about your flywheel. What transmission are you using and did you stick with the stock manifolds? I've been loosely following an intake thread on NC that claims to make some good power. I'm assuming that's the same .org member testing his product. Does this maf/intake combo require a tune to run?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sprocketser, merci. Comment va la Sante', mieux?

Mike, the car has the 5-spd M/T that came originally in the '97. It bolts right up to the 3.5.. Eventually a 6-spd swap may happen.. Before the swap the car had OBX headers on it, so I re-used those, w/ some new gaskets.. There are a couple of maxima.org members making the big intakes, the 3.5 seems to love air as the dynos show. And yes a tune is definitely needed when going w/ those

·
Registered
3,493 Posts

Mike, the car has the 5-spd M/T that came originally in the '97. It bolts right up to the 3.5.. Eventually a 6-spd swap may happen.. Before the swap the car had OBX headers on it, so I re-used those, w/ some new gaskets.. There are a couple of maxima.org members making the big intakes, the 3.5 seems to love air as the dynos show. And yes a tune is definitely needed when going w/ those

Ah , de petits progres , pas beaucoup , mais mieux que rien . Thanx for concerns !

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts

Very nice. Hopefully it's up and running soon. I want to see that thing run.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I Was able to remove the trans & I think we found the root cause of my clutch/flywheel engagement issues.. Found many hot spots on the flywheel.. I'll see if it can be salvaged or not & go from there

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I Was able to remove the trans & I think we found the root cause of my clutch/flywheel engagement issues.. Found many hot spots on the flywheel.. I'll see if it can be salvaged or not & go from there
Flywheel can be resurfaced at a speed shop , might need new clutch if it heated . How s the pressure plate .

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Flywheel can be resurfaced at a speed shop , might need new clutch if it heated . How s the pressure plate .

Clutch disc and pressure plate are still in great condition.. The flywheel, not so much. Going to take it to a local machine shop I deal with to see what they can do (it's an aftermarket lightweight one, so I'm not totally sure they'll be able to machine it to where it won't be too thin) we'll see..

I'm also trying to get over a cold/flu whatever it is that won't let go of me. Lol. Thank the crazy GA weather for that! Only here can you experience 4 seasons in one week.

Pic of the flywheel

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Ah , in GA ! Are you close to Atlanta mate ! When I was driving big trucks I went often in there . Mostly on the westside not too far from the I-20 .

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I bet the machine shop will be able to surface it , unless too thin .

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quick update.... I was able to get flywheel resurfaced and installed in the car. I went by my buddy's shop to get an idea of where the car is... He strapped it on the dyno & did some pulls.. Unfortunately the car is having fueling issues(we're thinking it's time for a fuel pump upgrade & adjustable fuel pressure regulator upgrade) And the ignition timing isn't optimal (either re-send my ECM to JWT for software change or save up for a good engine management system... If only Uprev worked on my chassis. Lol).

So, it's bitter/sweet.. I'm glad I can drive the car, just not happy @ power level. Gremlins strike again!! Lol. Local track officially opens next month & I would've LOVED to finally test this car out, but that may not happen.. We'll see

1 - 20 of 127 Posts