Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2014 SL Altima with the "auto climate system". It is not cooling like it should. Yesterday at about 75 degrees ambient. I had 45 PSI on low side and 150PSI on high side. The inside temp at the vents was 63.3 degrees. R134a pressure chart says 35-45 low and 150-170 high side. Could this be the troublesome "Compressor control solenoid"?
I did check the cabin filter and found some firewall insulation in the filter area. Like mice may have been in it before. I blowed all of the insulation out i could. Since the low side is a little high could there be more insulation blocking evaporator coil? I sure hope this is not the case. Because getting to that coil is more than i can do.
What else could be my problem?
Since i dont know the history on the car. Could they be non condensables air or moisture in the system. Or does pressures rule that out?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
First thing to do is an evac and recharge. Those readings sound like it's just low on refrigerant. Once you know the refrigerant charge is good, if it still has an issue, you can test for a stuck swash in the compressor very easily. Put the system at 60F and measure the vent temp with the fan on low and then again on high. If you get good cold with the fan on low but it rises precipitously with fan speed, it means the swash is stuck at minimum piston throw and can't deliver enough refrigerant volume to keep up with a large cooling load.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts