Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well where to start I have a 2008 3.5 see you have to take the radiator to change the alternator so I took everything apart put on new alternator put it back together started it up and it looked like oil went everywhere left a line off up next to battery put that back on drove about 100 yards now it won't pull itself any ideas

·
Administrator
196 Posts
Well where to start I have a 2008 3.5 see you have to take the radiator to change the alternator so I took everything apart put on new alternator put it back together started it up and it looked like oil went everywhere left a line off up next to battery put that back on drove about 100 yards now it won't pull itself any ideas
I'll assume the tranny is a CVT, so from your description, it looks like one of your CVT cooler lines was not connected so the CVT most likely lost a considerable amount of fluid. This caused the tranny failure. Pull the CVT dip stick out; on the side of the dip stick there's a tab that needs to be pushed in with a tiny screw driver to release the catch. While holding the screw driver against the tab, slowly pull the dip stick out. Now start the engine and reinsert the dip stick back in 180 degrees turned around so it doesn't lock itself again. You'll probably see the dip stick is dry. The CVT uses NS-2 fluid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts