Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Nissan Altima 3.5SE. The car sometimes accelerates - unexpectedly and quite noticeably - for 1 to 3 seconds if in cruise control mode, and I press the "coast" button. Thankfully, pressing the brake and/or removing my finger from the "coast" button provided a temporary fix. That said, the vehicle was tested by the dealer and a Nissan rep; both said that nothing was wrong with the car. Obviously, the "tests" did not check for everything.

Any additional insight would be most appreciated.

A

·
0 Posts
this has happened to me once, i hit the brakes and put cruise back on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NHTSA "Office of Defects Investigation"

Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like there might be a chance to escalate the issue, since this has happened to someone else besides me.

If you could take the time to formally report the incident online @ www-odi.nhtsa.gov, or call the Vehicle Safety Hotline @ 888-327-4236, it might be the start to building a critical mass to have this safety issue looked at more closely by Nissan and/or regulators. In speaking with an independent inspector, "critical mass" can defined as approximately ten reports of a particular incident to NHTSA. My incident was assigned ODI ID Number: 10312796.

Kindest Regards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other cruise control buttons work as expected. Interestingly, on those occasions when the car does unexpectedly accelerate with use of the "Set/Coast" button, the rate of acceleration was much faster than if I had used the "Accelerate/Resume" button.
In case the unexpected acceleration occurred because I inadvertently pressed multiple cruise control buttons simultaneously (since the buttons are clustered together on the steering-wheel), I tried to recreate the error by pressing two or more buttons simultaneously. In these cases, the cruise system responded as expected and disengaged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts