Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Altima and the dim lights are pathetic. I wanna replace the headlights but I see several options and im not sure what to go with. Are the factory lights Halogen? For replacing I see Halogen or LED. I also see reflector and projection. Please lend some info if you will. Thanks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The gen5 Altima headlights are infamous for getting a thin layer of aluminum oxide on the inside of the projector lens that reduces the light by half and more. Before you buy new lights, try popping the low beam bulbs out and cleaning the inside of the projector with rubbing alcohol and something like this:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give that a try but can so.eone answer my question? I've tried searching but haven't found an answer

·
Registered
399 Posts
The standard OE lights are halogen with LED available an an option. The LED's are hideously expensive and have no bulb to change if they fail, plus they'll require some wiring modification. If you want to go LED, get a set of H9/11 replacements from a reputable manufacturer like VLED, EOS, or Diode Dynamics. They'll run you about $200 but good heatsinking isn't cheap, the crappy $25 kind on eBay are fine if you don't mind replacing them every 6 months.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yep, that's what I posted initially. Use alcohol on a long swab to clean the back side of the lens. The reason this happens is because the "chrome" on the inside reflector isn't really chrome. It's aluminum, but it's deposited so evenly that it shines like chrome. Trouble is, the heat from the bulb gradually oxidizes the surface, and unlike rust, Al2O3 doesn't stay put. It has a strong positive charge and repels from the aluminum surface, becoming airborne inside the headlight. Much of it comes to rest on the cool back side of the projector lens. It's nearly invisible to the eye, but the molecules are bright white if you could see them, so even a microscopic film is sufficient to block up to half of the light through the lens. Eventually the chrome will be eaten down to beige plastic as time goes on, and at that point the headlight assembly is dead, But they can usually be cleaned and restored 3~5 times before old age finally gets them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea sorry Vstar, I was half asleep brother. Well I thank you for that info and I will take a look at cleaning them before I dump the money on new ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts