Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Altima 2.5SE that just doesn't like me.

Has anyone else had CVT problems where the CVT whines when hot and under load? I've been trying to research a problem where the CVT appears to overheat during extended driving, so far I haven't seen anyone else reporting this problem.

I drive quite a bit and it happens after the car is hot (30+ minutes of highway driving) and under load (going up a grade.) I've had quite a bad experience with this issue but I haven't seen anyone else complaining about this problem on the nets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine is the 4 -
We live WAY out in the boonies, so every time the car starts it is for a minimum of one hour drive time, and here in West Tennessee it is ALL hills -
Never a problem, but there has always been a slight whine to the CVT, even on the Sentra and Versa that I test drove before buying this one.
We have driven it to Florida twice, that's four trips of over 800 miles each, with each one made in a single day -
No problems.

I LOVE that CVT - this is the ONLY car I have ever owned that is satisfactory in these hills on cruise control! Others are constantly upshifting and downshifting.
Only my motorcycle cruise control was this smooth in the hills, and that was because it was a 1500 CC bike with tons of power to spare in 5th.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is the 4 -
We live WAY out in the boonies, so every time the car starts it is for a minimum of one hour drive time, and here in West Tennessee it is ALL hills -
Never a problem, but there has always been a slight whine to the CVT, even on the Sentra and Versa that I test drove before buying this one.
We have driven it to Florida twice, that's four trips of over 800 miles each, with each one made in a single day -
No problems.

I LOVE that CVT - this is the ONLY car I have ever owned that is satisfactory in these hills on cruise control! Others are constantly upshifting and downshifting.
Only my motorcycle cruise control was this smooth in the hills, and that was because it was a 1500 CC bike with tons of power to spare in 5th.
I'm glad things are going well for you with it. I wish I could say the same. I am now at 77k miles and on my third transmission. This current tran has about 8k miles on it and is already exhibiting the symptoms of failure. I drive quite a bit for work in the South Cali heat and my trip home has me running up two pretty significant hills and it never fails, by the time I'm to the midpoint of the first one the tranny is whining like a turbo. This last time I took the car in my local dealership told me I have to call Nissan directly to get it repaired, so I called a lawyer instead. It's a real shame because I really enjoy this car, my wife and I have had 5 nissans between us in the last 10 years but this experience is really souring it fast.

mikejamesbyma - thanks for the links, I hadn't found that site yet in my search. It's a huge help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts