Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I am new to the forum, and try to learn some advice from yall. Thanks!
I am in the selection among three Altimas. Could you give me some suggestions on which one would be more preferable?
The first one is Altima 2018 SL, 61k mileage, two owners, regular maintenance of 21 services history on carfax. But the airbag deployed in the hand of the first owner, no structural damage was shown. However, this car was sold as a certified pre-owned car in the first trade to the second owner.
The second one is Altima 2017 SL, 65K mileage, two owners, had moderate accident and structural damage to the front left in the hand of the first owner.
The third one is Altima 2017 SL, 69K mileage, two owners, 6 services history on car fax, but it was reported for the fleet for the first owner.
I personally don't know much about the impact of airbags deployed and structural damage.
I wonder are airbags deployed a severe problem? Should I consider the first one?
Also, is regular maintenance an important indication to tell whether the CVT is in good condition? Cuz I know CVT can be annoying beyond 40k miles.
Which car would yall recommend?
Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It doesn't take a massive crash to deploy the bags, but I'd get anything that was accident-involved up on a lift and poke around to make sure any repairs were done properly and not klujed. If you find any telltales of stuff in the frame or subframe that was un-bent and not replaced, pass on it and find another car. Fleet vehicles are generally rentals and not company cars, so although they may have been driven hard by some customers, they generally get good maintenance and a high proportion of highway driving vs local. So of the three, I think I'd be inclined to look at the fleet car first. Regarding the CVT, get it scanned (or scan it yourself with CVTz50) and make sure there are no codes in the TCM. Everything from '13 up has "judder detection" built into the TCM firmware, but judder codes (P17F1 and P17F0) don't turn on any warning lights. So a TCM scan is absolutely necessary. If the TCM shows clean, don't trust the old fluid, get it changed as soon as you take possession and every 30K thereafter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't take a massive crash to deploy the bags, but I'd get anything that was accident-involved up on a lift and poke around to make sure any repairs were done properly and not klujed. If you find any telltales of stuff in the frame or subframe that was un-bent and not replaced, pass on it and find another car. Fleet vehicles are generally rentals and not company cars, so although they may have been driven hard by some customers, they generally get good maintenance and a high proportion of highway driving vs local. So of the three, I think I'd be inclined to look at the fleet car first. Regarding the CVT, get it scanned (or scan it yourself with CVTz50) and make sure there are no codes in the TCM. Everything from '13 up has "judder detection" built into the TCM firmware, but judder codes (P17F1 and P17F0) don't turn on any warning lights. So a TCM scan is absolutely necessary. If the TCM shows clean, don't trust the old fluid, get it changed as soon as you take possession and every 30K thereafter.
Thank you so much for replying!!

·
Registered
2022 Altima SV
26 Posts
# of service reports does not really mean much unless it was for scheduled maintenance. I myself would be weary of the previous airbag deployment since I have been in accidents before. Some time it deploys at the stupidest time and some time it does not even though you think it should have. It all depends on where the impact was and where the sensors were located. If it did deploy, however, I'd first check to see if they were properly installed and then to see the structure damage. Fleets cars are relatively well maintained but there is that issue of people abusing the car. If it made it through 60k miles, check for steering and suspension issues along with tires. With CVT, you have other issues to worry about than normal transmission issues so I think it's a good thing.

From above choices, I would go with the fleet car (#3) as well but keep looking :):)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
# of service reports does not really mean much unless it was for scheduled maintenance. I myself would be weary of the previous airbag deployment since I have been in accidents before. Some time it deploys at the stupidest time and some time it does not even though you think it should have. It all depends on where the impact was and where the sensors were located. If it did deploy, however, I'd first check to see if they were properly installed and then to see the structure damage. Fleets cars are relatively well maintained but there is that issue of people abusing the car. If it made it through 60k miles, check for steering and suspension issues along with tires. With CVT, you have other issues to worry about than normal transmission issues so I think it's a good thing.

From above choices, I would go with the fleet car (#3) as well but keep looking :):)
Thank you very much!! I just did the pre purchase inspection for the #3. The maintainance guy told me everything was fine!!
Thanks for advice!!
Zeming

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You're most welcome. They're great cars if you just take good care of the CVT. The QR25 is a beast with a bottom end so tough it usually even survives hydrolocking, and by '16~'17 the nitpicky bugs were pretty much erased from the rest of the car. Enjoy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts