Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a new member so please forgive me for the dumb question I am about to ask. I just bought a 2008 2.5 coupe that's an auto. After the remainder of the powertrain warranty is up I would like to swap the auto tranny for a 6spd or even a 5 spd. I'm wondering what the cost might be like for a project of this size and would it really be worth it?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You'd be looking at $4,500-$6,000 to get the swap done by a shop. And the car will be at the shop for one or two weeks.
+1 , if everything goes fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
perfect, thanks for the info guys. New to the Altima scene but I have a mental list of things I'd like to do, all tasteful of course. I was hoping to make the switch to a stick but by the sounds of things I'll be leaving the A/T in for quite a while.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
perfect, thanks for the info guys. New to the Altima scene but I have a mental list of things I'd like to do, all tasteful of course. I was hoping to make the switch to a stick but by the sounds of things I'll be leaving the A/T in for quite a while.
Cool , keep us updated buddy on your upgrades

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
So I'm a new member so please forgive me for the dumb question I am about to ask. I just bought a 2008 2.5 coupe that's an auto. After the remainder of the powertrain warranty is up I would like to swap the auto tranny for a 6spd or even a 5 spd. I'm wondering what the cost might be like for a project of this size and would it really be worth it?
The Canadians are taking over!

The coupe is a nice car. Are you considering some suspension upgrades?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Yep , 3 in a row , don t see it often right ! lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're talking about a 2.5 CVT coupe (not auto.. don't think they make those) swapping to manual 6 speed... good luck!

Edit: Ok I just realized you're talking about the 2.5. My rant is on the 3.5 model..however I'm sure it is not much different in complexity.

Every one I know spent A LOT OF TIME AND MONEY on that. Every single one, short of 1 guy who had a doner car (6MT model) which took a few weeks and < $5 grand as I recall on the Nico forums (sorry if I'm not supposed to mention that).

Another guy had his take 1 year before he got his car back.

Yet another guy, my personal friend on said forum did a lot of homework on his '08 Coupe's CVT to 6MT swap, talked to mechanics/techs/other guys who had their swap done, and it took 3 shops, 1 Nissan Master tech over 1 year to get his car back just 2 weeks ago, and I believe he's at well over $10,000. Lots and lots of small parts, harness redos, ecu and cpus, custom fabwork, new axles, firewall, clutch, flywheel, and who knows what else he had to get replaced, troubleshot etc. etc. just to get it all done.

Not worth it unless you really, really want to throw away money you could spend on trading in for a 6MT instead. In my friend's case, he already had a turbo put on, so that swap was the next natural step (the CVT barely lasted 2 months of Turbo 3-6 PSI use before crapping out...barely had 30k miles on that thing of regular N/A use).

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
damn there goes my idea of a trans swap
id rather put that money into a project car or by that time maybe R34s will be legal to own

1 - 9 of 9 Posts