Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Altima SE with the automatic transmission. The car went to down shift, I heard a thump and now the transmission is stuck in 5th gear. Even if I put it into the "manual" plus/minus position it will not come out of 5th. Shifting to neutral, reverse, or even park did nothing. I shut the car off at a stop light and restarted it - trans still stuck in 5th gear!

It did it once about 2 months ago but stuck in 4th. It was late at night and I was almost home so I got home and parked it. The next day it was fine and has ran flawlessly for the last two months.

What is the deal with this? Has anyone experienced it before? HELP!

·
Registered
11,462 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you tried taking it to a dealer to see what's wrong with the cvt??
It just happened about 2:00 today, so I have not taken it anywhere yet. Last time it went away, so I am curious to find out what is going on.

I have read about some of the trannys getting stuck in park, but not gear. I wonder if this is some type of electronic shift solenid issue?

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
This is actually a relatively common issue.

There have been three fixes for this issue:

#1 - ECU reprogram
#2 - Crank shaft sensor replaced
#3 - New transmission

Get yourself down to the dealer so they can do a proper diagnosis. There should be plenty of history for them to look at with this issue. Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is actually a relatively common issue.

There have been three fixes for this issue:

#1 - ECU reprogram
#2 - Crank shaft sensor replaced
#3 - New transmission

Get yourself down to the dealer so they can do a proper diagnosis. There should be plenty of history for them to look at with this issue. Good luck!
If it was a CSS wouldn't it throw a trouble code?

I avoid "dealers" if possible. Would a capable mechanic or transmission shop be able to do anything?

I bought the car used, so there is no warranty. Any idea what a dealer would charge?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Believe it or not, crank sensors will not always throw a code when they're faulty.. If there is a reprogram/software update, then more than likely only the dealer will be able to perform that, or a shop/company that has access to that stuff.. And you never know... It may fall under powertrain coverage, which when I last worked @ Nissan was valid up to 8yrs/80,000 miles

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
If it was a CSS wouldn't it throw a trouble code?

I avoid "dealers" if possible. Would a capable mechanic or transmission shop be able to do anything?

I bought the car used, so there is no warranty. Any idea what a dealer would charge?
A reputable mechanic should be able to diagnose your problem. If they were smart they would have a contact at a nissan dealer that will be able to give them some background on the issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem is completely intermitent. I just went out and took the car for a spin around the neighborhood and it is working/shifting fine. This was the first time that I even started the car since 2:00pm yesterday!

I will try calling the service manager at my local Nissan dealership tomorrow. Surely they will say, "you need to bring it in" but I want to pick his head anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem is completely intermitent. I just went out and took the car for a spin around the neighborhood and it is working/shifting fine. This was the first time that I even started the car since 2:00pm yesterday!

I will try calling the service manager at my local Nissan dealership tomorrow. Surely they will say, "you need to bring it in" but I want to pick his head anyway.
I spoke to two different Nissan dealers today. One said that the powertrain warranty did not cover this since it would have fallen under the 3 year / 36000 mile warranty. $121.40 diagnostic fee plus 1 hour labor too.

The second dealer said hes it should be covered under the powertrain warranty. If not it is only $95

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd definitely go with the 2nd dealer you talked to then! Sounds kind of like the 1st one you talked to is trying to make some money.
I have an appointment next Saturday morning to drop it off. I wish that I could drop it off this weekend, but need the car and they do not do loaners.

The car has been running/shifting fine this week so I will keep my fingers crossed that there will be not problems in the next 7 days!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have an appointment next Saturday morning to drop it off. I wish that I could drop it off this weekend, but need the car and they do not do loaners.

The car has been running/shifting fine this week so I will keep my fingers crossed that there will be not problems in the next 7 days!
Well, I got the car back and they did not find anything glaring. They ordered a new valve body for the transmission. He said that it was reading on the high side of "normal."

Paperwork shows $1088 for the valve body. I am glad that it was under the 5 year / 60,000 mile Powertrain warranty!

They did try the "well the car only has 43,000 miles, but the 5 years is up since this is a 2006 and it is 2011" bit. Being the nice guy that I am, I informed him that the car was not originally purchased until 9/28/2006, so I still have 7 months! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice work! I hope it fixes your problem. The crank sensor is common for this issue so I'm surprised that they are not replacing that and calling it a day.
CPS and CSS (I think) were already changed back in August.

I bought the car from a Ford dealer the end of July. Within a week the check engine light came on and was reading cam position sensor. I took it back to them and they sent it to a Nissan dealer to change the sensor. While the Nissan dealer was working on it, they changed TWO sensors. One was the CPS, so I am assuming (we all know how that works out) that the second sensor was the CSS based on documented problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What do you think are the chances that they changed the transmission filter while they were in there to change the valve body? Do you think they woul dhave just re-installed the old filter before burroning it up and refilling the fluid?

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
It doesn't really have a traditional pancake filter like you would find in say a Cavalier. There appears to be a filter that is attached to the main valve body. If they replaced the valve body, they would have replaced the filter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It doesn't really have a traditional pancake filter like you would find in say a Cavalier. There appears to be a filter that is attached to the main valve body. If they replaced the valve body, they would have replaced the filter.

Thanks for the info! That transmission filter sure does look different than the filter that I changed in my 2003 3.5SE. I would not have imagined they changed them that much within the "generation."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts