Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had the local dealer body shop repair our 2020 Altima after a deer strike. Now there is a gap of at least a 1/2 inch between the hood and the light unit on the right side (where the worst damage was) and gap of 3/8 inch on the left side between the hood and light unit. I believe both of these are excessive. I'm wondering if this is indicative a the frame actually being bent? How can I tell what the issue is?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

· Registered
1,455 Posts
The two reinforcements in this diagram marked 64151 / 64152 are usually what gets bent in a crash, and they don't usually just bend in a frontal impact, they accordion. They're supposed to, they're part of the "crumple zone" which absorbs crash energy to protect the occupants. The only way your hood can have that much slop on both sides is if 1) they re-used the reinforcement but didn't completely pull out the accordion, 2) they replaced the reinforcement but welded it to the firewall incorrectly, or 3) the firewall was bent and they didn't fix it, causing the reinforcement to be angled.

In any case, it sounds like they did a crappy job.
Font Parallel Design Drawing Handwriting

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The two reinforcements in this diagram marked 64151 / 64152 are usually what gets bent in a crash, and they don't usually just bend in a frontal impact, they accordion. They're supposed to, they're part of the "crumple zone" which absorbs crash energy to protect the occupants. The only way your hood can have that much slop on both sides is if 1) they re-used the reinforcement but didn't completely pull out the accordion, 2) they replaced the reinforcement but welded it to the firewall incorrectly, or 3) the firewall was bent and they didn't fix it, causing the reinforcement to be angled.

In any case, it sounds like they did a crappy job.
View attachment 11572
Thanks for the quick reply. That will help me much when I have a face to face conversation with these guys.

They also did not put the hood prop retainer clip on. They had to know this stuff was wrong. I'm rather flabbergasted at the poor work.

I'm getting under the car in a few minutes to see what else I might see.

THANK YOU VStar650CL (Used to ride a VStar 1100 - really nice bike)

· Registered
1,455 Posts
You're most welcome. Don't have the bike anymore, I'm on a Kawi Vulcan now, but that's a funny story. The odo was rolled past 100K when it got stolen, I was waiting patiently for a piston to crumble so I'd have an excuse to rebuild the engine. I suppose the thieves thought it had 16K and not 116K. So the joke was on them, and I'm sure whoever bought that engine was royally pi$$ed.
;) :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
6 Posts
We had the local dealer body shop repair our 2020 Altima after a deer strike. Now there is a gap of at least a 1/2 inch between the hood and the light unit on the right side (where the worst damage was) and gap of 3/8 inch on the left side between the hood and light unit. I believe both of these are excessive. I'm wondering if this is indicative a the frame actually being bent? How can I tell what the issue is?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.
I had the same incident with a deer took my car to a body shop and they tried to present my car with the same issue a large gap between the hood and the right Fender and the right headlight after complaining and not accepting it they took it back and a day later they had it fixed I think the problem they're trying to throw it back together so fast and get it out of there that they don't take the proper amount of time to align it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts