Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 20 of 737 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figured, what with all the fun stuff going on lately, I should maybe do a build thread to document the changes.

These are the ONLY pics I have from the original sale (should have thought to keep the pics on AutoTrader).

Current List of Modifications

Engine:
Racingline Motor Mount Inserts
Mishimoto '04-'08 Maxima All-Aluminum Radiator, Polished with Custom-Painted K11 Brackets
Anodized Aluminum Oil Cap
Custom Gas Hood Prop Rods
Custom-Painted Copper Metallic Engine Cover
Custom-Painted K11 Racingline Aluminum Battery Tie Down
Custom-Painted Black Wrinkle Intake Manifold and Intake Pipe (Winter 2015-2016)
Custom-Painted Black Wrinkle Reservoir Tanks (Winter 2015-2016)
Custom-Wrapped Electrical Tubing and Rubber Lines (Winter 2015-2016)
UpRev Osiris Standard - Tuned by Joe (Spring 2016)
VMS Polished Aluminum Oil Catch Can (Winter 2015-2016)

Intake:
Injen SP Cold Air Intake
NWP BBTB Adapter Plate with A35 75mm Throttle Body & Voltage Drop Harness Adapter
NWP 5-Piece Phenolic Spacer Kit
NWP VIAS Delete Block-Off Plate
NWP EGR Delete Block-Off Plate

Exhaust:
Ebay 3-Piece Headers/Y-Pipe (2" Primaries, 2.5" Secondaries)
OEM SE-R Cat-Back Exhaust with 2.5" mid-piping and custom 2.5" resonator

Transmission:
Axxtion Short-Throw Shifter Kit
Red Lion 6MT Shifter Bushings
Techna-Fit Stainless Steel Clutch Line (Spring 2016)
Clutch Damper Delete (Spring 2016)
2005 Sentra Spec-V Helical Differential (Spring 2016)
Work-in-Progress:
JWT Lightened Flywheel (LALT2-NF000) and JWT Clutch (LSER2-NC000) (Spring 2016)

Suspension:
Racingline Lowering Springs
Racingline Front Traction Rods
Racingline Polished Front Strut Tower Brace
Racingline Rear Sway Bar (no longer available)
Koni Yellow Front Strut Inserts, 1995-1999 Maxima
Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, 1990-1996 300ZX
Ichiba Rear Camber Kit, 2003-2008 350Z
Moog Endlinks (F/R)
Moog Front Lower Control Arms

Brakes:
2006 350Z Base Brake Package (F/R)
Centric Premium Rotors
StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads
StopTech Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Motul RBF600 Racing Brake Fluid
Russell SpeedBleeders

Wheels/Tires:
Summer Setup
Nismo/Ray's Engineering Gram Lights 57F 18x8.5 (45ET) Wheels Custom-Painted L40 - Interlagos Fire Metallic
Dunlop Sport MAXX RT 245/40ZR18 Max Performance Summer Tires
Winter Setup
Prodrive PFF7 18x8 (48ET) Wheels
Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 225/45R18 Winter Performance Tires

Forward Lighting:
Depo 2005 Altima H1 Projector Headlights custom-painted and retro'ed w/Morimoto Mini D2S 2.0 Bi-Xenon Projectors, Morimoto 5500K D2S Bulbs, and Morimoto XB Halos
High Beam Upgrade 20W 2000 Lumen High-Power LED 6000K Bulbs
Fog Light Upgrade 30W 3000 Lumen High-Power LED 6000K Bulbs

Rearward Lighting:
Rear Side Marker 6000K LED Lights
Rear License Plate 6000K LED Lights

Exterior Appearance:
Black Ebay Grill
Black Painted Lower Bumper Grill and Diffuser
Mostly De-Badged, except Custom Black/Red Nissan Trunk Emblem

Interior Appearance:
Custom Steering Wheel Cover in Red/Silver stitching with Red Leather TDC Marker
2.25" Black Co-polymer WC Lathe Works Shift Knob
Redline Custom Black Leather Shift Boot with Silver X-pattern Stitching
Interior and Courtesy 6000k LED Lights
Front/Rear Footwell Ichibahn Amber Neon Lighting

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Oh , will look forward to that thread . Nice ride mate !

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Right at the moment, I still have a few parts left to install from my last "package" purchase. I typically buy several parts at a time so that I have stuff I can go install during free time... Wait, I have a wife, kid, house build, and a job... when do I have free time? :rofl:

Anyway, Racingline Rear Sway Bar is next on the list. Just purchased the grease, and I now have a good idea how to break the bushing brackets loose, so I'm hoping to get that done this weekend.

I also just had the dreaded P1273 code pop up after installing my Y-Pipe. I'm probably going to pull the OEM Pre-Cats, bust out the catalyst, and reinstall for a bit. It'll be stinky, but we don't have emissions testing in Michigan, yet. It may buy me some time before doing the Racingline HFPCs or Cattman Headers.

Past that, I have the Racingline Motor Mount Inserts (both mounts) ready, but I need to build up some guts to tackle the install. From what I hear, it's not fun. ::|

Still have the Racingline Traction Bars to install, too, but I need compressed air for that install. The two main bolts I need to loosen are torqued to 105 ft-lbs, and I have NOTHING that can break those loose at the moment. I may need to call in some ASE reinforcements for help. ::grin::

Brake upgrade is in the future, once my current setup needs to be replaced. Planning to do the 2006 350Z Rear Calipers, SS Brake Lines, Centric/StopTech Rotors, and I thought I'd try my hand at some OEM Akebono Performance Pads. Was thinking about the 300ZX front caliper upgrade, but I think I'm sticking with the OEM SE-R Calipers. If/When I start to Auto-X, I'm probably going to pursue the DIY front brake cooling ducts project.

I'm also on the fence for replacing the OEM SE-R wheels with TSW Interlagos 18x8.5. I love the look, love the weight, love the durability and reviews, but I have a hard time giving up my forged monoblock rims for some that are the equivalent of MAT (cast wheel with forged rim). I'll wait that one out until my tires need to be replaced, and then make a decision. Here's the look I'm headed toward:

When clutch is ready to be replaced, planning on JWT flywheel/clutch combo, and I'm on the fence for the LSD. I would really like to do it, but locating one is becoming difficult, and I really don't want to do a Viscous or Friction unit (easier to find). I've thought about Quaife or the HLSD out of the Sentra SE-R Spec-V, but tracking down the part has been challenging and/or expensive. Courtesy Nissan can't get even the VLSD, now. ::(

Last, but not least, is an UpRev tune.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I see that you have some Michelins in your sig , what are these , I have some Michelin X Ice2 Winter tires & I love them .

Nice list so far !

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see that you have some Michelins in your sig , what are these , I have some Michelin X Ice2 Winter tires & I love them .

Nice list so far !
Thanks for the kudos!! I'm running Pilot Super Sport (225/45R18) on the OEM SE-R rims (18x8) for my summer setup and Michelin X-Ice2 in winter. I agree - love the Ice2's. Got them from TireRack on clearance for around $100 a tire. Running 17x7 cheapo Sport Tuning T8 rims (TireRack) and the X-Ice2 are 205/50R17. They're a tad under-sized in overall diameter compared to stock, but I like the extra leverage with the snow. I can take off in 2nd without ever fear of stalling.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Thanks for the kudos!! I'm running Pilot Super Sport (225/45R18) on the OEM SE-R rims (18x8) for my summer setup and Michelin X-Ice2 in winter. I agree - love the Ice2's. Got them from TireRack on clearance for around $100 a tire. Running 17x7 cheapo Sport Tuning T8 rims (TireRack) and the X-Ice2 are 205/50R17. They're a tad under-sized in overall diameter compared to stock, but I like the extra leverage with the snow. I can take off in 2nd without ever fear of stalling.
Lol , it s either these ( Pilot SuperSports ) or the new A/S3 , don t know yet . Wonder how the Super Sports go on wet .

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Hey cool , I know the A/S ones stick on wet , wasn t sure about the Super Sports . Thanx for the comeback .

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey cool , I know the A/S ones stick on wet , wasn t sure about the Super Sports . Thanx for the comeback .
NP. I love the Super Sports, but I need a bit more mechanical grip - going to a wider tire on the next set. Probably going to try out the Conti Extreme Contact DW on the next replacement. I'm tempted to try out the 255/40 option on some wider rims, but I may just end up going with 245/40 and seeing how it goes. Those 255's are HEAVY compared to the 245's. It's about a 2-3lbs difference.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Seen some with 245s on & they seem to like those . You should try the Sports Cup then , I bet they re pretty expensive . Read some like the Continental Tires , wonder which ones I would try from them .

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Headlight Upgrade

Decided to switch from the OEM HID 4300K bulbs (Philips/Osram) and OEM Halogen ~3700K bulbs to something on the more yellow side of the white light spectrum. There's a great article on why removing the blue and purple portions of white light in headlamps is beneficial here.

I did a bunch of research on State of Michigan and Federal DOT and Motor Vehicle Standards and SAE International's specific standards on what the requirements are for headlamp bulb color ("white" is the standard) and what is considered to be "White" light. If you fancy a really dry read on the topic, you can find the Code of Federal Regulation for lamps, reflectors, and associated equipment here, and the SAE International's Color Specification J578 here. If you're looking to figure out if your bulb color temperature will fit within the standard, here's a great resource to calculate your XY color coordinates by using your color temperature. Keep in mind that, just because your color temperature does or doesn't fit within the guidelines of the XY color space requirements, it may or may not still fit within the guidelines due to the shift between green and purple. For more information on XY color space and color theory, check here.

That said, I made the call to change all forward illumination (with the exception of my parking lights/turn signal lights) to between 2500K and 3000K. All in all, the cost was around $60, buying DDM Tuning bulbs to replace my factory HID bulbs and Hella Optilux XY series bulbs for all Halogen.

The DDM Tuning 3000K bulbs are a factory-direct replacement for the 05-06 SE-R HID bulbs, although you need to remove the front fascia and the headlamp assembly in order to get at the bulbs. DON'T TOUCH any part of the bulb, as this will drastically limit the life of the bulb. Mine arrived in great shape, and have been working great since installation. On initial start up, they are VERY green and pop a bit until they warm to a nice whitish-golden hue. I've noticed NO glare from heavy and light rain, snow, and fog. They do take some adjustment, but I'm very much in love with my night vision, now, and they provide a "meaner," almost "alien" look to the car.

About the Optilux - Hella indicates that the bulbs are for "off-road use only," however the 2500K color temperature still fits within the SAE International guideline of "white" light. Basically, Hella likely didn't want to foot the bill on any tickets handed out as a result of ignorant users and ignorant cops, so they labeled the bulbs as off-road. Make no mistake, though, as the bulbs do not have a green or purple tint to them, and would likely pass all three recommended inspection methods by SAE International (VISUAL, TRISTIMULUS, and SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC). I have no access to the latter two methods, however I would suggest that, by using the visual method, the XY series would fit within the "White" color space.

Check the following posts for pics.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Headlight Upgrade Pics

Initial post-install pics of high beam bulbs and fog light bulbs:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Headlight Upgrade Pics

Initial post-install pics of low beam, high beam, and fog lights:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Headlight Upgrade Pics

Light on the road:

Light on my garage:
Low Beams + Fog Lights

Low Beams + High Beams

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Oh , you work too much mate ! Nice job on bulb s work , lol . You removed the front bumper in order to swap bulbs !

I also have a 17s Winter setup .

Me & one of my friends did swap the passenger lows side without removing the front bumper & it was hell .

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh , you work too much mate ! Nice job on bulb s work , lol . You removed the front bumper in order to swap bulbs !

I also have a 17s Winter setup .

Me & one of my friends did swap the passenger lows side without removing the front bumper & it was hell .
I suppose you could get at them by removing the front splash shield in the front wheel wells, but who wants that noise? LOL!

1 - 20 of 737 Posts