Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all!
As you can see, I'm new here and that's because i purchased my 2002 altima 3.5 last Sunday. I live in CA(orange county). The previous owner told me that the car did pass smog but for my surprise on Monday when I went to register it they told me i have to smog test it. Went to the test site just in front of Santa Ana DMV and it did NOT passed.:( I asked the employee and when he checked it seems that the previous owner tried to smog it one day and it failed then the other day he went to another place and it PASSED. That's why the employee told me he believes something weird happened.:cool:
Can someone help me and message me where I can take the car so it can pass the smog and it can be put on my name?:confused:
Thanks, I'll wait for replies.
I attached the smog results just in case.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Sounds to me like he payed the shop to "pass" it. Either its running non carb legal parts, something is wrong with or missing the catalytic converter, bad o2 censor, and/or engine problems.

Do you know of anything he had done under the hood?

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
I can't read your chart very well. It looks like it just barley failed. Maybe run some FI cleaner through it, take it for a good run on the highway and make sure it's nice and hot when they do the test. If I'm not reading it right, you might be into a new 02 sensor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your posts!
All I can see under the hood is an air intake but it looks like a couple of elbow joined, and like two cables which look like they are doing some ground. And it also have modified exhausts. The thing is that the guy told me that it passes smog test. He didn't provided me any proof of it. Then when I look up on google I read that it's the seller's duty and responsibility to be sure that the car does pass smog.
I've been in LA for a month now, so I don't know every single detail on the laws and responsibilities.
:D Sorry about the pic, it says:
Fail MIL/Check Engine Light
Modified Other Emission Related (Stock Air Cleaner & Intake)
P0300 Random/Multiple Misfire Detected
P0011 Manufacturer specific code
HC(PPM) @15 52/92 - FAIL
@25 36/38 - FAIL
NO(PPM) @15 424/462 - FAIL
@25 711/295
_And sorry for the long post!:)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If the check engine light is on it will fail the smog test.
If you have the seller's number ask if he removed the cat.

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
There are a number of things wrong with the car the way it is and you being in California. Your CAI is not smog legal unless you have the carb # to match the intake. Some garages are willing to look past that, but not many from what I've heard.

Your engine light being on is an immediate fail, I believe.

The P0011 code might be caused by a lack of oil or if your oil is topped up, it is just a random code that comes up every once in a while. I have gotten that code several times in the past. I just check the oil and reset the code. I haven't had the code for about 6 months.

The random misfire could be caused by a leaky rear valve cover. The cover is a very common replacement and when it leaks it trickles down in the spark plug tube causing both a low oil condition and a possible misfire.

Charles' response is good except you'll need to know how much of the exhaust has been modified. If the rear converter has been removed you'll want to have that re-installed. The high readings could be caused by your 2 front converters beginning to fail, or at least one of them, (usually the bank 1 converter is the culprit). You should at least have the converters inspected if the only reason is for piece of mind. If the converter(s) are breaking apart you'll want to have them replaced before you end up replacing your motor.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Having the light on will fail even if the car itself passes. I've tried removing the light with my old 96 audi but they check if it turns on when you start the car. Later I found out it was just the o2 censor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK thanks.
I just changed the alternator which was bad and the mechanic erased the CEL. Now I've ride for 3 days and the light hasn't show up.
The mechanic told me to come in a week so he can do the smog test. He told me that he believes the light wont show again but if it does I might need to replace a sensor. He also told me that the misfires could be caused by the bad alternator due to bad combustion. So far the car feels good.
I also took the car to a muffler center, and they told me that the car's exhaust is ok, that it has all the catalytics and stuff, just the tail pipe has been changes but everything else is ok.
Now I got only one question left.
A friend of mine that works at Nissan told me that the air intake looks like the nismo intake.
Does you guy know if that is legal to have and pass smog? If not, is there any aftermarket air intake that is accepted on smog tests, as I dont want the stock one?
:S

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
From what I have heard, it depends on where you go to get your smog done. Picky operators are more likely to fail you on the visual inspection. You'll need a carb sticker with a number to pass. You can make a plea to the forum or other forums to see if anyone will give up the sticker they got from their e-bay intake.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, i guess i'll star another thread and see if someone can help me with the sticker.
regarding the smog test, the damn light showed again yesterday :(. i got the car to the mechanic and they told me this time the code is becasue the catalytic. he wrote on a paper the following "143838 P0430 CAT B2". he told me that's an expensive part. do you guys know where i can find a cheap catalytic? i hope after this nothing else happens and i can finally register the car under my name...

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
I think the Injen short ram intake is the only one I've seen that claims to be carb approved. Yes I live in Socal as well. I've thankfully kept my factory airbox, so in 2015 when it comes time for me to get smogged, I'll just switch my Takeda for the oem airbox.

Another good tip when getting your car smogged is to drive for about an hour and fill up with the highest octane before going to a test center...this is assuming you don't have the CEL or bad o2 sensors..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i was saying CAI but i was wrong sorry, it is a short ram intake.
tomorrow I'll do some phone calls and see what i can get.
thanks for all the tips, I'll keep you guys informed of what happens.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
you would think that manufacturing short ram/cold air intakes for vehicles while being based IN california would be carb legal, but that's not the case with Takeda. I thought that since they're based in Socal that they'd have carb legal SRI's for our altima.

Well, keep us informed as to which one you go for and let us know the results!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi guys!!!
I just wanted to share my joy (after almost $1,000) and let you know that the car finally passed smog!!! YEAHH!>
A friend of mine borrow me a stock air cleaner and with the new cat (which he got it for me for $450 not $680 original price) I was able to complete the process.
Now that I got all the receipts I've been told that I can do a small claim for the money I spend trying to get it pass smog.
Some people tell me that he will have to pay for it others tell me that he doesn't cause he sold me the car "As Is".
But I tell them "Yes, he sell it to me as is, but meaning that he told me the car passes smog and that I don't even have to smog it for registration purposes".
Tomorrow I'll be doing the paperwork @ small claims and I hope the judge gives me the reason or at least 50/50 because it's not fair.
What do you guys think about the small claim?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Congrats on passing lol
If he told you that it would pass, but it didn't, and you had to front money to pass it, then i think yes. Even if you bought it as-is, he opened his mouth saying it would pass. lol

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
Regardless of what he says, it's always buyer beware. I don't think your claim will go anywhere. All he has to do is say he didn't mention anything about the car passing smog and there's not much you can do.

Glad to see you got it to pass though. Now you can actually enjoy the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol Thank you guys!
I know it is my word against his, but if it works for something I got a witness. Also look at this
"Answer According to California state law at least, the seller is responsible for making sure the vehicle he/she is selling has/can pass a smog check. The seller is supposed to provide a certificate proving that the car passed a smog check within the past 90 days. A smog check "pass" is only valid for 90 days. If the seller does not provide the buyer with a valid smog check "pass" certificate and the car fails a smog check, the seller is responsible for the cost of all repairs to get the car to a "pass" state. There is no provision in CA state law for vehicles sold in an "as-is condition. " In fact, if a seller refuses to cooperate with a buyer, the buyer is encouraged by the state of California to take him/her to court, where he or she will be made to pay all repair costs.
But don't just take my word for it. Check out the website of the CA DMV to make sure you're properly informed: http://dmv.ca.gov

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_you_ha...ss_smog_check_after_you_sell_it#ixzz1a1Ub0Wrp"

This gives me a little hope. I'll have to wait until Nov. 21 8:30am and I'll let you know!

Another thing guys!
The other days the CEL lighted up again and lasted for a day, they it turned off all by itself. Then yesterday it lighted up again :S . The first time the only thing I did was checking the oil level. The second time I drove from Irvine to LAX the returned, stoped @ Olive Garden(yummy) then when I started it it came again! So weird don't you think?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts