Nissan Altima Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've called the dealerships near me for a quote and what their CVT service actually entails. After explaining it all to me I asked well what about the CVT filters? And he said and I quote "we do not change filters in the CVT transmission they last the lifetime of the vehicle"..... Idk about you guys but I've never seen any filter of any kind last for the entire lifetime of any vehicle lol.
You're replying to a 9 year old post, I don't know if any of the posters will still be listening.

FYI, the reason Nissan doesn't recommend changing either filter is perfectly sensible. First, CVT's have almost no clutch material and never make "ATF soup" like a regular A/T. No matter how decrepit the fluid gets, it only oxidizes and forms varnish. It never gets soupy because it lacks the ingredients. That's the reason the primary filter is a screen and not a true filter, and it's easy to blow it clean if there's any visible debris. Changing it is a waste of money. The paper element under the beehive is there only to catch fine break-in shavings, and it pretty much does nothing after break-in. Shavings that occur after that are almost always larger and the magnets catch them. Changing the element entails possibly putting some of that fine stuff back into circulation, so Nissan recommends leaving it permanently alone. I agree with both recommendations.

Now, your 30K changes -- all I'll say is kudos. If everybody did that, the CVT's reputation would be sterling and not suspect. (y) :)

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Altima 2.5 S. K&N cold air intake. Stillen underdrive pulley. Stillen cat back system.
14 Posts
Sure it seem sensible because yes your right they don't produce the atf soup. Though every time I've changed my filters the paper filter is just in horrid condition and that's with regular 30k interval maintenance.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Altima 2.5 S. K&N cold air intake. Stillen underdrive pulley. Stillen cat back system.
14 Posts
Though I do use only Nissan Oem filters when I replace them just not Nissan brand CVT fluid

·
Registered
14 Posts
So far I'm at 191k miles and still have the original CVT with no issues at all. I guess it's just preference really change them don't change them all a matter of choice I suppose

·
Registered
975 Posts
I guess it's just preference really change them don't change them all a matter of choice I suppose
Yah, I'm sure after all those changes there's no break-in material left to get loose. Nissan's rationale won't really apply after the second filter change or so. But I will point out that there's a Murano in our shop that's pushing 500K miles and the filter is original, along with everything else in the tranny. It's only ever had spill-and-fills.

Nothing wrong with good aftermarket fluid. Personally I'm a fan of Eneos. The specs not only indicate it equals or exceeds NS3 in all respects, but it's the same color as NS3, so even people under warranty can use it with impunity. I've never been a fan of the ridiculous price of NS3, it's self-defeating for us to have to charge a car payment for a fluid change and then end up warrantying trannies that die early from lack of maintenance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yah, I'm sure after all those changes there's no break-in material left to get loose. Nissan's rationale won't really apply after the second filter change or so. But I will point out that there's a Murano in our shop that's pushing 500K miles and the filter is original, along with everything else in the tranny. It's only ever had spill-and-fills.

Nothing wrong with good aftermarket fluid. Personally I'm a fan of Eneos. The specs not only indicate it equals or exceeds NS3 in all respects, but it's the same color as NS3, so even people under warranty can use it with impunity. I've never been a fan of the ridiculous price of NS3, it's self-defeating for us to have to charge a car payment for a fluid change and then end up warrantying trannies that die early from lack of maintenance.
I agree I use amsoil or Lucas myself and seems to work well. Before those I used Valvoline CVT fluid and to be honest it worked great.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I agree I use amsoil or Lucas myself and seems to work well. Before those I used Valvoline CVT fluid and to be honest it worked great.
The only verifiable complaint I've heard about Valvoline and not others is operating noise. For some reason it seems to make some CVT's whiny. I've only seen one case of it personally, but we changed him over to Eneos and he said the noise was markedly reduced. I can't speak to Lucas as none of my customers use it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The only verifiable complaint I've heard about Valvoline and not others is operating noise. For some reason it seems to make some CVT's whiny. I've only seen one case of it personally, but we changed him over to Eneos and he said the noise was markedly reduced. I can't speak to Lucas as none of my customers use it.
Well if I really think back on it you did get a small amount of the belt whine but again this was just my personal experience. As far as fluid degradation it smelled and looked just like amsoil and Lucas when time came around for a fluid change. I lean more toward Lucas at the moment it really cuts down belt whine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well if I really think back on it you did get a small amount of the belt whine but again this was just my personal experience. As far as fluid degradation it smelled and looked just like amsoil and Lucas when time came around for a fluid change. I lean more toward Lucas at the moment it really cuts down belt whine.
Used Valvoline for a bit due to low budget and it's pretty affordable in comparison to the others.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts