Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Altima S. I have gone thru the info display and see settings for a lot of things but none that displays the MPH digitally on the dash. The reason I ask is because my previous car had a digital mph display option along with the analog speedometer. It's just easier for me to read.

Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
220 Posts
I have a 2013 Altima S. I have gone thru the info display and see settings for a lot of things but none that displays the MPH digitally on the dash. The reason I ask is because my previous car had a digital mph display option along with the analog speedometer. It's just easier for me to read.

Thanks.

I looked the other day while setting my configurations and I don't think so.

· Registered
87 Posts
Our 2014 2.5 SL doesn't show MPH in the center menu either. I think Nissan blew that one big time. If you don't have the tech package, the first menu item showing the car is a total joke. That could easily be the MPH in numeric fashion.

Another point....
The dealer brochure shows the cruise control "Set Speed" in the bottom banner right side, but when actually setting or adjusting the cruising speed, it does not display that data. The center screen menu could easily display a lot of other data already available like coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, transmission temp, voltage, amperage, throttle position, and much much more. Just add one or two menu pages. It would cost nothing more than a little extra development time for a small software team to make it right, but the Nissan marketing team obviously had a "better" idea.

These 2013-2014 deficiencies could easily be remedied through a software update via the USB port.

The decision makers need a virtual frying pan impacting the top of their craniums. Come on Nissan....Wake Up! You ran a marathon extremely well but sat down with a foot to go to the finish line. Here I am with a 2014 and you still didn't move that foot over the line.

I hope one day Nissan will offer an affordable software update to this 5th generation Altima to make our driver information centers display all driver information. If their marketing team is smarter yet, they'll invite Altima owners back for courtesy update, charging something like $1 to avoid falling into the category of a recall. That would make huge news and promote the company immensely. But I don't think Nissan is wise enough to consider it.

I think most every Altima owner would pay the going 1/4 to 1/2 hour labor rate to have their DIC updated to display more useful data.....even if just for MPH.

· Registered
225 Posts
There may be a way in the computer(tuner enableable option). I know that the 1999+ mustangs have a trick with turning the key and holding the trip reset to make the Odometer read either RPM, Speed, or the amount of fuel left. I'd be a bit shocked if a much more advanced car doesn't.

· Registered
87 Posts
I wonder if the service manual covers hidden menu items, or even a diagnostic mode.

I owned many C5 Corvettes (one at a time), selling my last one last November, using the cash to buy our 2014 Altima. The Corvette DIC has a very simple numeric display but extremely thorough with useful data. It even has a "hidden" mode to display every stored trouble code and a means to clear it. On one of my Corvettes, it quickly determined why the engine light came on by displaying a trouble code. Then using the internet, I determined what the code meant. I replaced the failed part, cleared the code, and all was well. It was a beautiful thing.

When GM came out with the C6 Corvette in 2005, that "hidden" mode was gone.

· Registered
87 Posts
Another software quirk is that the "Back" button on the left-hand side of the steering wheel works only within the "Settings" menu, not able to take you back to a previous menu. You have to go through all menus to get to the previous one. If you over-shoot it, you have to go the entire loop a second time. :(

There seems to be a pile of these over-sights of Nissan's. Like I said before, they got so very close with a great Altima. Why drop the ball over the simplest thing, the user interface. Don't they realize the user interface is a daily experience? It's a daily reminder of how it isn't right.

Easy for Nissan to fix for future and likely update on the 2013-2014, but they are not getting it done....at least not yet.

The smarter these cars get with user interfaces, the more the auto manufactures need to realize their cars will need updating just like Windows software.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a little disappointed with the user interface. I just got the car a week ago. I did get the "S" which is the base model so I wasn't expecting top of the line GUI. Maybe I got pampered with the purchase of our other car. The base model on it still came with a touch screen interface, USB ports and better on dash display. I love playing pandora/iTunes Radio from my phone. A USB port or option to add one would have been nice to along with a digital speedometer.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have 2017 Nissan Altima SL. Getting the MPH displayed like other cars with displays is my exact problem. Your solution is very good. Hope they get this done. Why hasn't Nissan fixed this simple problem? Especially when they have dumb things like heated seats and steering wheels - it's 100 deg out - who needs that. Many people could use a centered, digital, speedometer display and the programming is so easy to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts