Nissan Altima Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 new questions for window issues

I've read this thread and its great but, it hasn't been updated in a while.
Here is my exact issues with the thread and my own spin on it.
I have a 2008 Altima coupe.
2 years ago, the passenger window stopped going UP only from the drivers side controls. It would go down but NOT up. However the passenger side switch raised and lowered the window just fine. Not a big inconvenience, just reach across the car and open and close it.
I reasoned that the motor was just fine and it must be the switch.
Now 2 years later, the passenger side switch wont raise it either. SO both switched will NOT raise/close the window. BUT, both switches will LOWER it. So once again, I'm assuming the motor is fine and maybe BOTH switches are bad now.
As I read this thread and went to do the spray and clean the switch fix, I noticed as I took it all apart and got down to the switch itself, the switch is actually enclosed and sort of sealed, there is no way to scrub with a toothbrush any contacts, you cant even see a contacts. The little square switch is somewhat sealed and I cant see anything in the pictures or descriptions that shows or tells you how to overcome this.
Is the switch itself supposed to be taken apart?
Lift the little metal tabs and take all the little guts out of it?

Now, from a pure electrical point of view and for those of us who can read a schematic and understand electricity, it should be very easy to simply short or bridge together a contact or two to simulate a working switch by just making the connection artificially, has anyone done this or does anyone have a schematic showing which wires on the plug go where?

Final question, does the passenger side switch operate independent of the driver side master switch? in other words is there ANY condition or malfunction with the driver side switch that would render the passenger side switch usable? is one in series with the other.

Comments please?
mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, so I decided to take the plunge and try taking it apart myself. And am happy to report that YES, you CAN repair it!!! And it's pretty easy.

What happens is that crud builds up inside the little micro switches until they no longer work. I simply took it apart, cleaned it with "contact cleaner" and compressed air, and reassembled. Works perfectly now.

Here's a step by step. I couldn't figure out how to include the pictures in the body of this message, so they are attached separately...sorry.

1. Remove the master switch from the driver's door. You basically pull up on the arm cushion to remove it, then remove the plastic surround piece that holds the switch. Then release the tabs that hold the switch to the plastic piece, then unplug the wiring harness. Work slowly and carefully to not break any of the plastic tabs. There are other posts in Altima Forums that show/describe how to remove the switch from the car so I won't go into great detail here.

2. Lay the switch on a clean work surface. Wiggle/pull the window lock button straight up to remove it.

3. Separate the black top portion of the switch assembly from the white bottom portion by releasing all the tabs on both sides with small screwdrivers. Then pull straight up to remove the top portion.

4. On top of the circuit board you will see the 6 micro switches. The two on the left are for the rear windows, the two in the middle are for the front windows, and the two on the right are for the window lock and door locks (see picture). Locate the one that is not working (mine was the left rear window).

5. Clean the top of the switch with a soft brush (an old toothbrush works great). Then spray a little contact cleaner into the micro switch and move the switch tabs back and forth a few times to work the cleaner in. Then blow it out with compressed air. Do it again to make sure it gets clean in there.

6. Reassemble the switch, install it back into the car, and enjoy your now working power windows.

Note that you can repair the individual door switches using this same method. In fact, this repair should work with numerous other makes/models of cars because most all of them use those micro switches.

Good luck!

Beachbum
Hi I'm new to altima family, Will this work for all 4 windows? because they all seems weak and only front windows works fine even though it's slow, however, the rear one kind of stuck whenever its down halfway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this great information. The left rear window stopped going up from the driver controls, then the left did the same. I checked the operation of the switches before completely installing the cover and door arm rest. Good thing, as it took four or five cleanings with contact cleaner and compressed air before they both regained their function. Amazingly simple to get to the switches once you have figured it out. Who would have ever thought the armrest and switches just snapped in and out??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great instructions but ran into an issue!

OK, so I decided to take the plunge and try taking it apart myself. And am happy to report that YES, you CAN repair it!!! And it's pretty easy.

What happens is that crud builds up inside the little micro switches until they no longer work. I simply took it apart, cleaned it with "contact cleaner" and compressed air, and reassembled. Works perfectly now.

Here's a step by step. I couldn't figure out how to include the pictures in the body of this message, so they are attached separately...sorry.

1. Remove the master switch from the driver's door. You basically pull up on the arm cushion to remove it, then remove the plastic surround piece that holds the switch. Then release the tabs that hold the switch to the plastic piece, then unplug the wiring harness. Work slowly and carefully to not break any of the plastic tabs. There are other posts in Altima Forums that show/describe how to remove the switch from the car so I won't go into great detail here.

2. Lay the switch on a clean work surface. Wiggle/pull the window lock button straight up to remove it.

3. Separate the black top portion of the switch assembly from the white bottom portion by releasing all the tabs on both sides with small screwdrivers. Then pull straight up to remove the top portion.

4. On top of the circuit board you will see the 6 micro switches. The two on the left are for the rear windows, the two in the middle are for the front windows, and the two on the right are for the window lock and door locks (see picture). Locate the one that is not working (mine was the left rear window).

5. Clean the top of the switch with a soft brush (an old toothbrush works great). Then spray a little contact cleaner into the micro switch and move the switch tabs back and forth a few times to work the cleaner in. Then blow it out with compressed air. Do it again to make sure it gets clean in there.

6. Reassemble the switch, install it back into the car, and enjoy your now working power windows.

Note that you can repair the individual door switches using this same method. In fact, this repair should work with numerous other makes/models of cars because most all of them use those micro switches.

Good luck!

*** UPDATE 11/19/17 -- I found another excellent product you can use to clean the switches. It is CRC brand "2-26". This product will not only clean the contacts inside the switches but it will also lubricate them as well and make the repair last even longer (pure contact cleaner does not have any lubricating properties). So I think this stuff actually works better - I used this after my master switch started acting up again about 18 months later but since then no problems. And it says right on the can "Plastic Safe and Improves Electrical Properties". Just Google "CRC 2-26" to see pics of it. You can get it lots of places, I picked it up in Home Depot for like $5 for a 5 oz. can. I also use it for other electrical stuff around the house and garage. Hope this helps.

Beachbum

I had an issue with the left rear window and followed Beachbum's instructions to the T. That worked and the rear window works fine. However, now the front windows and power locks do not work at all!!! The buttons on the master switch do not work (other than the rear window buttons).

I am guessing it has something to do with the way I put the switch back together to reinstall. Any ideas? I tried disconnecting the battery and that did not work

·
Registered
3 Posts
Disregard the previous post. Got it sorted.

Missed the fact that for the switches for the front windows and door locks, there is an orange mark that designates the default position for the "levers" when reinstalling the buttons. Once I set those correctly and reinstalled, everything worked as it should.

Beachbum, if you ever see this, thanks for your instructions!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Master switch (front driver side)

Hi,

Thank you for all your posts, following the directions I was able to get my rear windows (both) working from the master switch.

:)

My question and others on the thread are the same, is there any instructions for the front windows switch? The rear ones are easy as they have rockers and are (for me) easy to clean and get working. The front ones have sliders and I can't get into the mechanism. I took the silver metal casing out but it's still shrouded in plastic. I spray WD-40 on the insides and used a paper towel to try and clean it up but have not been successful getting it working like the rear windows. Does any one have any suggestions for these front window switch? I don't think I can take the slider shroud apart.

Please and thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi,

Thank you for all your posts, following the directions I was able to get my rear windows (both) working from the master switch.

:)

My question and others on the thread are the same, is there any instructions for the front windows switch? The rear ones are easy as they have rockers and are (for me) easy to clean and get working. The front ones have sliders and I can't get into the mechanism. I took the silver metal casing out but it's still shrouded in plastic. I spray WD-40 on the insides and used a paper towel to try and clean it up but have not been successful getting it working like the rear windows. Does any one have any suggestions for these front window switch? I don't think I can take the slider shroud apart.

Please and thank you.
You should be able to clean the front window switches (the ones with the "sliders") the same way...just spray some contact cleaner or CRC 2-26 in there the best you can and move them back and forth, and then blow out with compressed air. Might need to do this several times. Using compressed air is important because I think it helps to dislodge any debris that is inside the switch...you can't do that with a paper towel. Also WD-40 is not the best for this application, try the CRC 2-26. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should be able to clean the front window switches (the ones with the "sliders") the same way...just spray some contact cleaner or CRC 2-26 in there the best you can and move them back and forth, and then blow out with compressed air. Might need to do this several times. Using compressed air is important because I think it helps to dislodge any debris that is inside the switch...you can't do that with a paper towel. Also WD-40 is not the best for this application, try the CRC 2-26. Good luck!
Thank you for the suggestion. I followed it and now have a working automatic master switch. My problem has been resolved and saved me around $350 dollars WOOHOO!

I'm in Canada I cannot get CRC 2-26, I went to the local hardware store and picked up contact cleaner, the generic brand.
Spray liberally inside the switch, slide the switch back and forth 6-8 times. You can feel the dirt/grim being lifted from the contacts. Used compress air to blow out residue and also helps to dry up any chemicals. Put everything back and switch works like a charm.
Note: when I used WD40 I also blew it out with the air compressor, this will not work. Use the contact cleaner it's the key to solving this problem.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts