Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is a 2012 Altima, 2.5S with about 34K miles. The car shakes when you use any kinda of electrical item. I used the door locks and it shakes, same with windows. Anyone know what this could be? Im thinking alternator, belt, or the battery. Battery and belt is something i have to fix. but if you think its the alternator im going to take it in since it still has a warranty.

thanks i really do appriciate it. :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I would bring it in. Doesn't sound right. How badly does she shake?
When its cold its pretty noticeable. But when its warm its not too bad but i can feel it. I took it in 2 weeks ago thinking it was an idle issue, they did an idle relearn and it didnt help. But then i realize when i was locking the doors it shook, and DING two and two together. So i think i will take it in tomorrow and make an appointment.

·
Registered
951 Posts
As long as its still under warranty take that thing in. I've had some real SHAKEY used winter beaters...even some of GM's finest but never anything like that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Try plugging a voltmeter into one of the power outlets to see if you get large power dip when using electrical item.

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
^^Exactly. If for some reason there is a massive power draw it's going to pull a lot of power from the alternator causing your idle to drop and "shake" the vehicle. Obviously this only happens while the vehicle is running? Sorry, had to ask...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^Exactly. If for some reason there is a massive power draw it's going to pull a lot of power from the alternator causing your idle to drop and "shake" the vehicle. Obviously this only happens while the vehicle is running? Sorry, had to ask...

No biggie, and yes it is when its running haha. Well on the way home i tried to reenact it.... didn't work. didn't even shake at all. I rolled down all the windows while blasting the A/C and unlocking and re locking the doors. Didnt do anything. I will keep doing it for the next few days and see what happens. Its kinda irritating.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the past few days it has done it intermittently. So im gonna change the belt to a nice goodyear one and see if that does anything. It looks a little worn, nothing major but maybe its losing its elasticity. I do live in AZ the heat kills everything. gonna get the battery tested and make sure. better safe than sorry

·
Registered
20 Posts
After snooping around my 2010, I found that my HOOD is loose! About 1/8" play up and down, and maybe off 1/2" to the left side, leaving a bigger gap between hood and body on right side. I wonder how much they'll charge me to tighten it up?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
get the alternator tested too. might as well do it while you test the battery

Assuming i have to take off the alternator to get it tested. How hard is it to get it off? Ive taken a few off before (99 buick ultra and a 71' F100 lol) but nothing this new.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Issue is back :(

So i hate to activate an old thread, but the same issue is there. Here is what is done,

New alternator
New belt
New battery

After the new alternator went in it was smooth for awhile with no issues. But now the idle shake is back. Cold and warm it shakes enough to notice it when using electronics. Getting great battery voltage 13+ and when the car is on it goes to 14.5. So the charging system seems okay with those numbers. Could this be a grounding issue? Anyone have pictures of those grounding spots, or a link to a post with them so i can find them.

Any help is well appreciated. Car has 55K on it now, so no more bumper to bumper.

·
Administrator
196 Posts
Can someone tell me why my car vibrates when i roll the Windows up
Does the problem occur on every window? There may be a heavy current draw caused by some component making the alternator work extra hard; this would cause a hard drawdown on the engine dropping the idle speed below spec thus causing engine shake. It's also possible you have a bad alternator; a properly working charging system puts out about 13.2 to 15.0 volts, but this is a general spec, and the factory service manual should be referenced for the correct charging system voltage specifications for a particular vehicle.
With the engine idling, measure the voltage across the battery while operating the windows; the voltage should hold between 13.2 - 15 volts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Car is a 2012 Altima, 2.5S with about 34K miles. The car shakes when you use any kinda of electrical item. I used the door locks and it shakes, same with windows. Anyone know what this could be? Im thinking alternator, belt, or the battery. Battery and belt is something i have to fix. but if you think its the alternator im going to take it in since it still has a warranty.

thanks i really do appriciate it. :p
In the 2019 Subaru Impreza, you'll find a comfortable compact with a big back seat, impressive fuel economy and the added bonus of standard all-wheel drive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts