Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys, today i pulled the battery on my car, and after connecting it again, i turned the car on and noticed an amber icon that said "KEY" on it stayed illuminated, so i drove off, came back home, and the damn thing would not shut off. I pressed the button and it would turn my dash off for 2 seconds, and would turn right back on. The car stayed on.
Now the car wouldn't shut off. I looked up the fsm and pulled a fuse to get it to shut off....but what could possibly cause this problem?
I only have one Ikey and i replaced the battery a few days ago, and wasn't having any problems until just now.
Its an 09 Altima 2.5 SL

· Premium Member
811 Posts
If what has happened is what i think has happened, then I have personally seen this two times. Chances are, it will never happen to you again. I spoke with Nissan engineers about it both times it occurred(two different vehicles). Both times, I was told that it is an extremely rare glitch in the bcm causing the system to basically forget what it is supposed to do. As far as I know, there is no cure, but it shouldn't happen again. If it is a reoccurring problem, there may be something wrong with the bcm, or the steering lock unit. SLU has a warranty extension.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If what has happened is what i think has happened, then I have personally seen this two times. Chances are, it will never happen to you again. I spoke with Nissan engineers about it both times it occurred(two different vehicles). Both times, I was told that it is an extremely rare glitch in the bcm causing the system to basically forget what it is supposed to do. As far as I know, there is no cure, but it shouldn't happen again. If it is a reoccurring problem, there may be something wrong with the bcm, or the steering lock unit. SLU has a warranty extension.
It was odd, because i pressed the button to turn it on, and it I wasn't even holding the brake. I just pressed it for a split second because I wanted to get it into ACC mode, but it just skipped ACC went to ON and started itself. It wouldn't turn off after that. I was going to do some troubleshooting, but it started raining outside, so i got the car to shut off and unplugged the battery.
Hopefully it was just a glitch, seeing as how i've only had the car for not even 1000 miles yet and i don't want to start making repairs to it already.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has everything been fine other than that one time? Have you tried again or not gotten to it?
No I haven't had any issues with it at all until now.
N I was going to turn it on again to troubleshoot but like I said it started.raining and the way I got it to shut off was by pulling a fuse. I dont wanna try that in the.rain. So ill check it tomorrow and report back.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked it out this morning, and same thing, car would turn on but wouldn't shut off. So I didn't even bother messing with it. I took it to the dealer and they were puzzled. I stood there and watched as they tried to figure out what was wrong with the car, but they had no idea what was causing the problem. They asked me to leave the car there so they could check it out. Hopefully they get back to me tomorrow.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any word from the dealer?
No. They keep giving me the run-around between sales department and service department. Apparently the warranty i was given only covers engine and transmission, but since i've only had the car for 2 weeks, they HAVE to do something about it. Im heading down there tomorrow to find out what exactly is going on.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Adam, correct me if I'm wrong, the dealer has a 90 day bumper to bumper used car warranty, right?
Well i dropped by on Friday and they told me it would be ready by noon on Saturday....but i had to go out of town this weekend, so i will be paying them a visit tomorrow and asking what it was that caused it, and get back to you guys in hopes that this will help someone else :D

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went today and they said that all things lead to bcm. They are going to swap a new bcm into it today, and if it works then thats what its going to be. If not then its going to be a bigger problem, if thats even possible.

· Premium Member
811 Posts
Adam, correct me if I'm wrong, the dealer has a 90 day bumper to bumper used car warranty, right?
Im pretty sure its at the discretion of the dealer, and depends on the terms laid out during purchase. Its not required, but most dealers will cover the cost of the repair or goodwill warranty it. Not only is it the right thing to do but if you're treated right, you'll more likely trade in and purchase from them again.

· Premium Member
811 Posts
Went today and they said that all things lead to bcm. They are going to swap a new bcm into it today, and if it works then thats what its going to be. If not then its going to be a bigger problem, if thats even possible.
If it is the BCM, make sure to bring them all keys that you have as they have to be reprogrammed. If you're wanting an extra key, its a way to get it programmed for free.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So...... They suggest trading out of it?
I have no clue, my work hours did not allow for a trip to the dealership.
From what he said on the phone was that if i would like to just get a newer car.
I don't understand how that would work. I will be paying them a visit today.
I just find it retarded how they have been unable to fix my car and its been 2 full weeks that the car has been in the shop, and I wasn't even provided a loaner.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts