Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post, but I've read a bunch of threads and it seems like a pretty knowledgable forum... Anyways, I was trying to replace my headlight bulbs a while back and the little metal spring thing snapped in two pieces in my hand. I have just gone without a left side headlight but now I'm planning a road trip in a few weeks and it'd be nice to have the headlights at 100% before driving through the dark deserts at night. lol
Anyways, does anyone have a source for the clip? The dealer wants to sell me a new entire headlight for $440+... It's a 2003 Altima 3.5 if that matter. Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm not positive as to which clip it is (have pics?) but check RockAuto.com they are good for little parts like this, plus decent prices. Also, they tend to have pics of every part, if there's no pic check Autozone for a picture and to cross-reference the name of the part, then just order it wherever is the cheapest. You might need a new headlight housing if it's attached to that, if so, eBay it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't find any of the exploded views that show the item as a part (so no part number...) I'm going to try and fabricate one myself I guess and if that doesn't work, I'll hit up a wrecking yard.
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought an 02 altima and had the same issue. I called the nissan dealer and asked for the part. The parts guy said he couldn't find it at all. He called me back 2 hours later and said that there was a recall on the headlights. He ordered them for me and dan mullins nissan is going to out them in for free friday. Call the dealership and give them your VIN number and see if your altima is involved with this recall. If it is, you get two new headlamp assemblys for free.

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
Get yourself a paperclip and bend it into the shape that you need. The retainer that you need is not offered as a separate piece. I changed one of my bulbs the other day and broke one of the clips. I'll be trying the paperclip fix when the weather improves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought an 02 altima and had the same issue. I called the nissan dealer and asked for the part. The parts guy said he couldn't find it at all. He called me back 2 hours later and said that there was a recall on the headlights. He ordered them for me and dan mullins nissan is going to out them in for free friday. Call the dealership and give them your VIN number and see if your altima is involved with this recall. If it is, you get two new headlamp assemblys for free.
I like the sound of this... lol. I'll be calling in a couple hours when they're open. :) Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get yourself a paperclip and bend it into the shape that you need. The retainer that you need is not offered as a separate piece. I changed one of my bulbs the other day and broke one of the clips. I'll be trying the paperclip fix when the weather improves.
Getting access to the area is a PITA! I spent 30+ minutes under the hood last night and my back was killing me. I was looking at new lights on ebay before I saw the post above yours... now, I'm hopeful. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

No such luck for me. :(
A crappy over-engineered headlight is all I'm stuck with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used an extension cord wire

I know this thread is old but i couldn't find help anywhere. I have a 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE with Xenon headlights. In my Altima, the bulbs are held in my by a retaining clip (or whatever you wanna call it) and it looks like a metal paper clip that's bended a weird way. I notice the clip creates an electrical contact between the bulb and a metal bracket that's stationary (and get power from the car). I stripped a wire from an old extension cord cable i had for home application and wrapped it around the bulb and that metal bracket.[/B] It works very well for me and hasn't gone out or melted or shorted. It's a temporary fix but it helps if your waiting on a new clip to come in or if you don't car about the apparent of your engine compartment lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts