Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this 2012 Altima for about two years now. Has about 74k on it, well taken care. I love the car, but right at 30mph I hear/feel a "clunk". It's not super loud and it hasn't changed since I got it. Doesn't seem to affect operation either. Doesn't matter if I'm accelerating hard or soft, as soon as my speed hits 30...clunk.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 and when i changed my rear shocks my car developed an awful clunk sound. I removed the shocks greased the top hats (the part that bolts up to the car) and have not had any clunks since.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There's a 2010 Nissan bulletin about this. The noise is from the ABS performing a self-check at 30 mph on first acceleration. It's generally more noticeable if the car has been sitting awhile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a 2010 Nissan bulletin about this. The noise is from the ABS performing a self-check at 30 mph on first acceleration. It's generally more noticeable if the car has been sitting awhile.
Interesting. I'll have to look that up. The noise doesn't just happen on the first acceleration tho, it happens on every acceleration when the car's speed has gone below 30. Driven every day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You might just have a noisy ABS. To clarify, the bulletin said the noise is particularly distinct on first accel after the car's been idle, but the test is dynamic so I suspect the ABS would perform it every time you hit 30 with the throttle on and brake off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you also checked the drive shaft?
As VStar noted, the Altima is a front wheel drive vehicle...hence, no drive shaft. And the CV axle boots are in good shape. Also, no issues when turning that would indicate a worn out CV axle. But thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts