Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 Altima, I bought in 2010.. So 10 years and 205K miles later it has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. Unexciting, yes, but never failed me.
So I'm looking to Get another car and leave this one for two teenage daughters to drive. Id be stupid not to look at the ALtima again based on my experience, but you read so much negative about that CVT tranny, I just want to see if anything has been upgraded/ strengthened from my 09 model? Im looking at 2017-2019 models. Mine has been flawless, but a friends died on them right at 100K and it was a 2010. So Am I the Norm or the exception? Sure theres been some CVT upgrades since 2010, I would hope?
Any Info appreciated

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 and have have had a couple issue with the CVT as described below. I bought my Altima a year ago with 56.5k miles and now have 77k miles. Below is a response I made to a YouTube video I thought would be relevant here.

"Heat is probably the number 1 issue with the CVT8 that our '13-'18 Altima's have. I was getting delayed response and once it revved up without moving. Every time was after driving for a while and then from a stop. I bought an ELM327 bluetooth adapter and the CVTz50 app, both pretty cheap, and that allows you to monitor the CVT fluid temp and pressures. I noticed my temp would often go over 90°c, which is when your fluid deterioration number increases. After doing a ton of research I installed a Hayden 678 trans cooler along with the Hayden 106 hose (extra) and my temps have never reached 90° c since. The stock fluid warmer/cooler on mine has 4 ports. The 2 larger ports are for engine coolant and the 2 smaller are for CVT fluid. Mine had a small hose that just looped back to itself. The Hayden hose is 3/8" id and the stock hose is 5/16" id. If you put the Hayden hose directly on the cooler it is to loose so I bought two 3/8" barbed couplers, took the stock hose which was about 10" and cut it in half. I connected each piece of 3/8" hose to a couple and then the stock hose to the other end to attach directly to the stock oil cooler. You might want to pick up some extra small hose clamps. Hope this helps."

So knowing what I know now, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Altima again. The first thing I would do is add a trans cooler.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts