Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i purchased a 2010 Altima coupe 3.5 SR about 9 months ago.

I have started hearing this sort of metal hissing/scraping sound when accelerating. If you take a couple of metal cooking sheets and rub them together in a circular motion it makes a very similar sound, only a lot louder. It only happens at certain RPMs and is 100% consistent so it does it every time at those RPMs which is around 3 to 4K.

Car has 110,000 miles on it. Transmission temps consistently show 193 to 198. Ive seen it as high as 205 but that is on a hot day and doing city driving. It does not slip or have any lack of power.

I'm not sure it's ever had a transmission fluid change. At 110,000 miles, my independent mechanic says to leave it alone at this point as changing it after so long could potentially damage it due to disturbing debris that may be in there.

What are your opinions? Should i get the fluid changed by a dealer?
I know the 4.5 gen with the 3.5 liter are more robust. I drive the hell out of it though, maxing it out several nights a week. I cant afford to replace the transmission and still owe about $8K on it.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
13 Posts
Get it to the dealer. I have 2010 Altima S 2.5. They sent me paperwork extending the warranty to 120k miles. I'm at 155k miles, and this trans is effed. $3700 for a reman from the dealer. Also, your best to use only Nissan NS2 CVT fluid. I changed mine; 6 qts at 45k miles. 10 quarts at 90k miles, and 10 again at 145k miles. Just started hunting like the governor is sticking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Get it to the dealer. I have 2010 Altima S 2.5. They sent me paperwork extending the warranty to 120k miles. I'm at 155k miles, and this trans is effed. $3700 for a reman from the dealer. Also, your best to use only Nissan NS2 CVT fluid. I changed mine; 6 qts at 45k miles. 10 quarts at 90k miles, and 10 again at 145k miles. Just started hunting like the governor is sticking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
100% Agree.

As for the OP, Also your mechanic is incorrect, I’d seek a new one or just service the vehicle at a dealer from now on until the transmission warranty is done. You can change fluid at any mileage without having issues BUT if you flush the fluid after a long period of inadequate service, you can have issues

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drive the hell out of it though, maxing it out several nights a week. I cant afford to replace the transmission and still owe about $8K on it.
Stop driving it like you can afford a new transmission.. These transmissions don't like to ran hard.

Get a manual or a real sports car if you want to 'drive the hell out of it'.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts